• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Couple of questions

If you keep the ISO rear end hardware you will need to open up the holes in the perches so they fit the ISO stuff as it has a large locator pin.... I trashed all that stuff on my 74 RR put SS springs with the small locator pin, I used a 70 C-body rear that had 11 inch brakes. Cut off the old perches & had a race car shop weld new perches in the right spots and all is good...

I havew an 8 3/4 from a 73 Charger with everything to bolt it up. I was going to reperch it for my 72 but I may have found an axle for my car that doesn't require different perches. I'm in NW IL

My 73 has an 8 3/4, I was hoping the E-body one was narrower and allowed for a larger tire with few mods.

Why not just get the wheels matching the needed offset/backspace?

Is not just the axle but springs. Unless you install a spring relocation brackets kit.

Yeah the relocate kit is on he list. I’m hoping to get a 295 in there I’m sure it will be a large combination of parts.

295 tires fit without mods... will get you a thread about that made by a member here but posted at dodgecharger.com

That chart that was posted is garbage, Has bad info on it.

One of those "reference" items that needs ot be nuked from the internet.

E body is about an inch narrower.

I can't see any problems putting whatever tire you want under/into those incredibly generous, possibly the most generous ever produced 71-74 Charger rear wheel wells!

After reading that article and attempting to find more info with no luck and sitting at the firehouse today I'm left perplexed. Can someone explain to me why the 73 Charger (presuming all B-bodies of 73 and 74) cant have the springs moved inboard with either spring relocation kit. I did the 3" box kit on my Demon.

How much tire are you trying to get under it?

I had 12 inch wide tires on my 70 Super Bee without any rub, and the 71-74 wells are bigger, MUCH bigger.

everything depends on the rear height and how much of the tire you want to fit exactly down the wells.

as I mentioned the rear axle width doesn't need to be changed, but just use the propper wheel backspace, and the only "obstacle" to fit wider tires are the springs, not the body!

Last edited:
we have better axle info in the tech section here.

Auto Transport Service
Back