• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Couple of quick questions for body guys..

icetech

Local time
6:23 AM
Reaction score
So, i have to replace the bottom 6-8 inches of the quarters on my 62 belvedere (which i believe no one makes) and also the bottom of the trunk extensions. I have always been a mechanical guy not much for body stuff cause i am good at making stuff work but not be pretty :) On to the questions..
When i see guys replace weld on panels i never see them do anything behind the old panels to stop the surface rust or to coat the new metal they put in, that seems kind of a waste to do all the work to not try to stop it rusting again or am i just over-thinking (which i always do)
Do 63-65 extensions fit 62 (99% sure they would but making sure) although i think i will just replace the bad 2-3 inches, it's nice to know just in case.
I was also hoping that if someone with a lift gets time that they could take a quick pic of where their quarters and inner panel meet at the bottom, just so i have a reference, i'm sure it's the same as the flange down the rockers (mine are solid luckily) but want to make sure.

Sorry for the newb questions, but there will be more as i get into this :)

P.S. been watching this guy a bit which is giving me a lot of tips for getting this done without a huge shop full of english wheels and such..

use weldable, corrosion resistant primer..... I use this, I buy it by the gallon because it's much more cost effective; but it also comes in aerosol....... let it dry, it's awesome

use weldable, corrosion resistant primer..... I use this, I buy it by the gallon because it's much more cost effective; but it also comes in aerosol....... let it dry, it's awesome

Thanks, will get some when the time comes..

When I did that same bottom quarter panel repair on my 68 Coronet; I primed and painted that inner quarter area. Couple weeks later, I sprayed Black Bear rust preventive coating till it was dripping out the drain holes.

Auto Transport Service
Back