• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

CPPA and TTI same design headers?

1968rt

Local time
6:29 AM
Reaction score
I have an old pair of 1 7/8" CPPA headers. They appear the same as TTI. I would like to order the header back system from TTI. Do you think they would fit properly?

IMG_7672.JPG

IMG_7673.JPG

TTI 1.875.jpg

TTI 1.875A.jpg

Who knows. Just expect to have to make modifications. The kits they claim are bolt on do not always fit without some sort of modifications.

Just Google CPPA headers lots of different discussions.

A simple call to TTI will answer your question.JMO ruffcut

Yes ,I believe back in the day they were made by TTI.

I have an old pair of 1 7/8" CPPA headers. They appear the same as TTI. I would like to order the header back system from TTI. Do you think they would fit properly?

Did you ever get a definite answer to your question? Are the designs the same?

The TTI headers were/are a close copy and improvement on the old CPPA headers. Roland Osborne the founder of Chrysler Power Magazine & CPPA was friends with the owner/founder of TTI and helped him get started -

Thanks! To be honest they (CPPA and TTI) look identical.. do you know what was improved?

The original CPPA header design had some performance issues...
Apparently some of the runners were an odd, longer length that cost major HP.
The later CPPA headers made by TTi and sold by Mazzolini, may have been revised...

Just my $0.02... :thumbsup:

Thanks! The CPPA headers above look similar to the TTI headers so those must be the revised design.

Thanks! To be honest they (CPPA and TTI) look identical.. do you know what was improved?
With the old CPPA headers if you used them on a "B" block you had to space the drivers side header out from the head with an extra header flange to make 'em fit - TTI corrected that issue with their "B" version. I Believe there were other improvements but I don't know the details. Some more interesting info - My '66 Coronet 383 4bbl was actually used by TTI to design their '66-'67 B-body exhaust systems. A friend of mine bought a system for his '67 Coronet and the installation instructions have pics of the car in them.
Another interesting tid bit - the old CPPA headers were based off of old Mickey Thompson headers. I cant remember what they were called or the part number but they are the ones that had the 18 or 24 inch long square collectors.

The original CPPA header design had some performance issues...
Apparently some of the runners were an odd, longer length that cost major HP.
The later CPPA headers made by TTi and sold by Mazzolini, may have been revised...

The biggest issue the original CPPA headers was quality & fitment. They went thru a couple builders before they found a good one. I actually have 35+yr old CPPA 2" headers on my RB powered race car (Avatar) They fit excellent and seem to work - 3650lbs, 9.94@133mph

The biggest issue the original CPPA headers was quality & fitment. They went thru a couple builders before they found a good one. I actually have 35+yr old CPPA 2" headers on my RB powered race car (Avatar) They fit excellent and seem to work - 3650lbs, 9.94@133mph
My experience goes back into the mid-80s...
I was helping a close friend building a Duster for drag racing with a 440, the 440 was built and included a tunnel ram with (2) Holleys.
The 440 was built by a well-known Mopar engine builder in the San Fernando valley, next the 440 was put on his dyno with an original set of CPPA headers. On the dyno, it was noted the 440 was below expectations for HP... This raised some questions so another brand of headers was installed and about 45HP was gained, a close review of the CPPA headers disclosed a couple of the runners were much longer in length than the others..
In closing, I would have hoped that the runners mismatch was corrected in later production runs...
Also note that when the 440 was finally installed with another brand of headers, the Duster ran 9.50s..
I hope that any design shortcomings have been addressed in later production runs by TTi. I am a loyal supporter of TTi products and have installed multiple sets on various Mopars, and since TTi is local for me. Over the years, I have made several trips visiting TTi, picking up products and had direct discussions with Sam(owner).

Does anyone have a picture of the original first design CPPA headers? The ones above are clearly a later design as the pipe routing is so similar to TTI's...

Interesting! Did some more research and it seems that the 1 7/8" headers have the same design as the CPPA headers and 1 3/4" and 2" are different (smaller starter window, different location of pipes in collector):

TTI 440 1 7/8"
440-178C4.jpg

TTI 440 2"
TTI440-200.jpg

Auto Transport Service
Back