• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Cracked crankshaft counterweight: Repairable?

They tried to grind it out to determine how extensive it was and after it didn’t get any smaller they stopped and called me. I don’t have pictures yet, but I’d like to know if something like this can be reliably repaired.

I would think that a repaired crack in this area (If that is even possible) would limit you to a max rpm

Like others have said, tough to make a call without pics.

I personally don't see how this would limit you to a max rpm. If welded correctly, the weld will not fail before the parent material does. Although people have been welding on crankshafts for decades, that is nothing new. But do you really want to run a "FORGED" crank that needed repairs (im going to take a shot in the dark here) that probably wasn't run at any extreme power levels.

If this is something you are asking questions about and are concerned for your safety even after seeing the crank. Talk to your shop some more and "upon their professional recommendation" i'd replace it. Cry once and have the piece of mind that your new engine is sound.

Not sure who you are, but i'd hate to give you advise and have to read your name in the paper because you want to save a few bucks. Best of luck.

Like others have said, tough to make a call without pics.

I personally don't see how this would limit you to a max rpm. If welded correctly, the weld will not fail before the parent material does. Although people have been welding on crankshafts for decades, that is nothing new. But do you really want to run a "FORGED" crank that needed repairs (im going to take a shot in the dark here) that probably wasn't run at any extreme power levels.

If this is something you are asking questions about and are concerned for your safety even after seeing the crank. Talk to your shop some more and "upon their professional recommendation" i'd replace it. Cry once and have the piece of mind that your new engine is sound.

Not sure who you are, but i'd hate to give you advise and have to read your name in the paper because you want to save a few bucks. Best of luck.

"Although people have been welding on crankshafts for decades, that is nothing new"......perhaps you could provide an example or two of who, their methodology, and the filler metal used to affect the repair and their success rate. Welding on a crankshaft of unknown composition with an unspecified filler metal may prove disastrous. Personally, I would not do it.....others may have different viewpoints/opinions....
BOB RENTON

"Although people have been welding on crankshafts for decades, that is nothing new"......perhaps you could provide an example or two of who, their methodology, and the filler metal used to affect the repair and their success rate. Welding on a crankshaft of unknown composition with an unspecified filler metal may prove disastrous. Personally, I would not do it.....others may have different viewpoints/opinions....
BOB RENTON

Hi Bob, maybe i should have been a little more specific. I was not specifically referring to weld repairs on the counter weighs for cracks although that was and is the context on this thread. Please let me be more clear, I was generalizing when i said that sentence, eg: welding slugs to counter weights or maybe the less common welding of journals to be reground on an expensive or rare crank. Simply put, I was making the argument that the welding of a crank "can" be done. To be clear since I didn't say it above, no I wouldn't run the crank.

Hi Bob, maybe i should have been a little more specific. I was not specifically referring to weld repairs on the counter weighs for cracks although that was and is the context on this thread. Please let me be more clear, I was generalizing when i said that sentence, eg: welding slugs to counter weights or maybe the less common welding of journals to be reground on an expensive or rare crank. Simply put, I was making the argument that the welding of a crank "can" be done. To be clear since I didn't say it above, no I wouldn't run the crank.

Thanks for the e-mail and explanation....I was not questioning your motives at all....just trying to learn about such repairs, the methodology and the out come.....I concur with your assessment.....don't do it....
BOB RENTON

I just got back from picking up my 392 engine block and crank from my machine shop. Pictures of the crack in the counterweight are shown and marked by them with arrows on either side of the crack. Just sharing for those who asked. Thanks

CF849610-B6BD-455C-9DEA-7CE6ACBB3E2C.png 7CAB76B7-EF9A-4C73-BA97-DC05F3EAA8D8.png

I would say that's a critical area. Good that they found it and that you are retiring it.

Auto Transport Service
Back