• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Crane 440 rocker arms - pushrod lenght

John Burns

Local time
3:47 PM
Reaction score
Forgive me if I'm asking overly obvious questions! I know big block Chevys... MOPAR is new to me. I'm working on my friend's very stock 440- it has Lunati Voodoo ...703 hydraulic cam and it runs pretty well. It has stock stamp steel rockers, but we have a set of Gold Cranes with the stock ratio. Do these need a different length pushrod over stock? (I know the 100% correct way to be sure is to measure them, but it seems odd they would be different than stock.) I can not find any information about these rockers online either... I'm assuming my best bet is a call to Crane, but if someone has experience with this, I'd love to hear it.
Thanks
John

I think Crane gold rocker use a ball/cup pushrod. stock is ball/ball. You can use the chart as a starting point, but you should get a pushrod length checker.
IMG_E2646.JPG

I just put a set on my 440. Changed them from Crane Iron rockers. They are in fact Ball/Cup.
If your head and block was not cut excessively, I can go out tomorrow and measure one of mine
and tell you what length they are? Also, I am using a 0.039 head gasket.

Those measurements are out to lunch as far as the length for a roller lifter !!

"Very stock" doesn't scream roller lifter to me. But who knows! Hydraulic cam.

I used Crane gold rockers on a 440 (deck blocked) with Edelbrock RPM heads/.039 head gasket and used stock length pushrods, they were the ball/cup style. If I remember right, I had 1-2 threads showing through on the adjusters.

I just put a set on my 440. Changed them from Crane Iron rockers. They are in fact Ball/Cup.
If your head and block was not cut excessively, I can go out tomorrow and measure one of mine
and tell you what length they are? Also, I am using a 0.039 head gasket.
Thanks! I think I do just need to do this right and get a length checker. Too many variables.

"Very stock" doesn't scream roller lifter to me. But who knows! Hydraulic cam.

I agree, but we have them laying around and figured it couldn't hurt! The stock rockers are also ancient. And I'm trying to talk him into a bit more cam and some basic valve work.

Yes the book is old, but he's asking about a hydraulic lifter

A checker pushrod is inexpensive. The Crane Golds are very good. If the cam you use is not too radical, the standard size will be close, although I found some installed variation from brand to brand.

Auto Transport Service
Back