• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Crankshafts and Transmissions

Bighouse

Local time
3:55 PM
Reaction score
Hi- I’m also working on a Olds 442- the crank is specific for a manual trans pilot bearing.

Are Mopars the same?? Small blocks, big block? Can 4 speeds or aftermarket Tremecs be swapped behind any crankshaft??

Thanks

Yes sort of. The crank needs to be drilled for a pilot bushing and the bushing needs to be the right dimension for the transmission input

Most of the forged cranks can do either. Some of the auto forged cranks just never got the finish ream, they make a smaller bushing for those. Cast cranks have no hole. Someone makes a ball bearing that fits in the torque converter pilot hole though. Works well but requires one to hack off the tip of the tranny input shaft, ouch! Tough to fix that.

Tremec transmissions come with a ball bearing that presses into the torque converter hole in the back of the crank. Just put a TKO 5 speed in my 70 Charger and I love it. Went from 10 to 16 mpg with a built 512 stroker. Pay a little extra for the pistol grip shifter. Well worth it.

Forged 440 cranks can be one of three varieties, bored with the pilot bushing, bored for the pilot bushing but no bushing, partial bore for the auto trans. I've all of these. I presume forged 383's may be the same. Cast 400's seem to be bored for the pilot or not.
Not sure about small block cranks.

Thanks for all the great answers. The tremec swap is quite appealing. My Charger has a 69 340 in it. How are the small block crankshafts.

I have no direction where I’ll be going with engine/trans. I would love a 440. Im just collecting info!

Auto Transport Service
Back