• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Crap Alternators, or....?

Ten years ago Alt.s were rebuilt in Mexico.Today they are rebuilt in China !
I could not get a 1960's Roundback style Locally anymore, So I got an Older Rebuilt Alt.on ebay recently,Rebuilt in USA.

Some one said junk coil's. After buying two Eder Brock coil's that failed in a short time. One just quit producing spark. The other one started leaking out the plug where the coil wire plugged in and was not producing spark if any weak. So the counter guy at my auto parts store said they where junk. Advised me too buy the MSD coil. Have it on now and so far so good. Back in the day always carried an extra coil in tool box with other misc. part's. So yes all coils are not as good as others. Spend a little more and get better quality I hope. LOL.

Some one said junk coil's. After buying two Eder Brock coil's that failed in a short time. One just quit producing spark. The other one started leaking out the plug where the coil wire plugged in and was not producing spark if any weak. So the counter guy at my auto parts store said they where junk. Advised me too buy the MSD coil. Have it on now and so far so good. Back in the day always carried an extra coil in tool box with other misc. part's. So yes all coils are not as good as others. Spend a little more and get better quality I hope. LOL.

I did not know that "Eder Brock" made coils.....and the definitive source of information: "the counter guy at the auto parts store's" motivation was the MSD coils he sold had a better profit margin....hence the recommendation. Perhaps you should consider an epoxy filled coil (no insulating fluid) or a E style coil without either.....just a thought.....
BOB RENTON

I agree with a lot that has been said here and want to add. If you have a good OEM alternator that has provided good service and it fails I highly recommend you have it reviewed/rebuilt by a professional rebuilder. At the very least they will diagnose it for you and tell you if its worth replacing. Sometimes its not worth it but most times it is. I have a few cars that have the original alternator on it that has just been "repaired" and put back in service. More than one time the alternator was not at fault and the root cause sent me to another part that needed replacement (battery, reg, faulty ground, etc.) instead. Its the difference between finding the root cause and correcting it and random parts replacement done with no thought behind it.

As for finding an alt rebuilder: I have lived in 7 states and many small towns and never failed to find a pro within a 45 minute drive. They are a dying breed, but still are out there and could use your business.

RGAZ

I agree with a lot that has been said here and want to add. If you have a good OEM alternator that has provided good service and it fails I highly recommend you have it reviewed/rebuilt by a professional rebuilder. At the very least they will diagnose it for you and tell you if its worth replacing. Sometimes its not worth it but most times it is. I have a few cars that have the original alternator on it that has just been "repaired" and put back in service. More than one time the alternator was not at fault and the root cause sent me to another part that needed replacement (battery, reg, faulty ground, etc.) instead. Its the difference between finding the root cause and correcting it and random parts replacement done with no thought behind it.

As for finding an alt rebuilder: I have lived in 7 states and many small towns and never failed to find a pro within a 45 minute drive. They are a dying breed, but still are out there and could use your business.

RGAZ
As I've said before, why not diagnose the problem and if its alternator related, rebuild it yourself. Its a simple device and easy to take apart and replace what went bad. OEM or NOS parts are readily available and reasonably priced....so why not try? After all, charity begins at home plus the feeling of self accomplishment is hard to beat.....
BOB RENTON

Pay extra up front and buy new. Research the parts source before you make the purchase.
Just because a part is imported does not make it automatically a lower quality part.
Most components of US assembled "parts" are sourced internationally. Quality is constantly improving actually as more things are done with modern tooling/equipment/materials.
Mopars have been manufactured in Mexico and Canada for decades.
Made in Japan used to be associated with low quality. Now the countries with the best reputations for are Japan, Korea, Taiwan.
There are cheap parts(low quality) made everywhere. And there are good quality parts made everywhere.
Look at what we make and sell right here. You can't say we (US) only make good stuff. We make junk as bad as anyone else. Do your shopping...

Auto Transport Service
Back