• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Crate hemi or built 440?

Put in a stroker kit & turn your 383 into a 480-500 cubic inch motor (or whatever 383's stroke to) and you can get 400-450 horsepower in a very streetable combination. A 440 is another good way to get there, but you already have the 383 motor & it "looks stock"
I like ur thinkin!

Yep I like the stroker idea the best plus you know what your getting, it’s still cool and fun to build the 383

A lightweight 4.25" crank in your 383 block (489cu in at .030, 496 at .060) gets you the exact same bore/stroke as highly respected big block Chevy combo, in a lighter block with a better rod ratio. Good heads, make 500+hp, drive.

I’m not the expert that my brother is but back in the 70s he stoked a 383 in a 70 Cuda, back then I think he took a crank from a 440? Lit up the lights at gateway in saint louis

When you say its a pig what does that mean???? It sounds like you have a bunch of parts you know nothing about really (no offense intended)....or their compatiblity
Could be that it needs to be dialed in , maybe the cam needs a higher stall/gear, timing, jetting ect.
I would save my money for now do a little investigative work and bring your findings back and I'm sure you will be pummeled with options from the resident experts.

Last edited:
When you say its a pig what does that mean???? It sounds like you have a bunch of parts you know nothing about really (no offense intended)....or their compatiblity
Could be that it needs to be dialed in , maybe the cam needs a higher stall/gear, timing, jetting ect.
I would save my money for now do a little investigative work and bring your findings back and I'm sure you will be pummeled with options from the resident experts.
its a 4-speed car, but agree with you anyway.

I dont get---- getting 400-450 hp out of a 383? It does have Edelbrock aluminum intake with 850 Demon carb.... illegedly rebuilt witha cam about 1000 miles ago, and i think its a pig.... mind you my last ride wax a 31 ford with a 383 stroker small block that FLEW
That 383 is a badass little engine, can rev up to 6500 RPM No Problem, can you tells us a little bit about your combo, like compression, heads, intake single or duel plane, carburetor, what ignition, cam specs, ECT

IMG_6057.JPG
Unfortunately i have NO info on the motor, so maybe "dialing" it in is a good start point......
IMG_6059.JPG

Personally I prefer a dual single plane manifold for a street car. looks like you have a Torker single plane manifold, a dual plane manifold like a Edelbrock performer RPM, or my all time favorite is the Indy dual plane manifold.
Edelbrock makes a Top End kit that they say makes 500 horsepower, it includes a New cam , New Heads, New Dual plane Performer RPM Manifold, and I think a timing chain, plus all the gaskets needed to make the change over. personally I would chase dyno your car Now before you make any changes, then dyno it again after you make all the changes, so you can see the deference in horse power, the best part is you can do all the up grades with out pulling the engine, (I'm telling you that 383 would scream!!) you mite need a new clutch at that point to so my be mite be better to pull the motor ? Plus a Full MSD Ignition

Great info....have new clutch in there now...is there a part number for this "kit"?
Just looked at their website, kit number 2086...says 421HP

I love B blocks, and not all that difficult to get 400+ hp in one. Start with what you have, get it tuned properly, check compression, cam spec, and then make changes.
For the 6k you listed, one could easily build a pump gas 400 stroker (500) that would light your fire while still appearing somewhat stock.

ok yeah your right sorry bout that, so I would call them and ask about up grading the cam, also look into the kit price VS if you bought the parts individually, if the price is comparable just buy the parts individual and upgrade your cam.

I think edelbrocks kit makes 421 on a 383, near 500 on a 440. What will it do on a 496? Sure be fun to find out.

It's your car - but it sounds like the 383 has typical "rebuilt 383" problems and isn't anywhere near what you were told for power. If it were me I'd pull some stuff and see what you really have, and what quality the labor to put it together was. More than likely you have a 9:1 383 with a cam that's not degreed. At minimum...lol.
As far as an opinion - I've driven the Gen 3 cars. I'm not impressed just because I expect them to be torquey and they aren't. Plus I'm second the "no way for $6K". Not to get what you need, and get it in the car and running.
I would take the 383 and stick a 496 kit in the block. Upgrade the camshaft and heads and go enjoy it.

Im in CT and have a 493 in my 69SB. Be happy to show you the motor and take you for a ride. My buddy just did a 500 ci RB with trick flow heads in his RR and it dynoed @ 619hp on pump gas with a 6 pack setup. Its frightening to drive

It's your car - but it sounds like the 383 has typical "rebuilt 383" problems and isn't anywhere near what you were told for power. If it were me I'd pull some stuff and see what you really have, and what quality the labor to put it together was. More than likely you have a 9:1 383 with a cam that's not degreed. At minimum...lol.

As far as an opinion - I've driven the Gen 3 cars. I'm not impressed just because I expect them to be torquey and they aren't. Plus I'm second the "no way for $6K". Not to get what you need, and get it in the car and running.
I would take the 383 and stick a 496 kit in the block. Upgrade the camshaft and heads and go enjoy it.
I have no idea what a "496 kit" is, but am considering the edelbrock top end kit if i find a good 440 to start with

Auto Transport Service
Back