• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Crate hemi or built 440?

Im in CT and have a 493 in my 69SB. Be happy to show you the motor and take you for a ride. My buddy just did a 500 ci RB with trick flow heads in his RR and it dynoed @ 619hp on pump gas with a 6 pack setup. Its frightening to drive
What is a 493? 500ci RB?
Im just getting back to Mopar ....and dont have a clue what these are. In my day, it was a 383, 440, or 426...lol

A 493 is a .030 over 440 with a typical 4.15 crankshaft in place of the stock3.75 crank( .060 over is 499). A "496 kit" is a 4.25" stroker crank in a .060 over 383 block (489 cu. In if .030 over) .
Such kits are available from a few different companies.
The stroker kit recomendations are so you wont have to "find a good 440"
If you decide to go stroker, plan on a cyl head upgrade. Stock iron heads are probably too small even for a stock 440.

Last edited:
440fish - your buddy's setup sounds like mine. 493 stroker with the TF topend kit, minus the intake. I wonder if my setup would make those numbers as well? As for the 383, like most have said, bore and stroke and slap a FI Tech unit on top. All the fun and no choke needed to start.

440fish - your buddy's setup sounds like mine. 493 stroker with the TF topend kit, minus the intake. I wonder if my setup would make those numbers as well? As for the 383, like most have said, bore and stroke and slap a FI Tech unit on top. All the fun and no choke needed to start.
What is a " TF" kit?
And FI Tech unit?

Might I suggest that we find out what’s inside the motor before we go nuts here?

Pull the heads and find out where the pistons sit in the bores. You may have a decent compression ratio and a cam/head swap might just do the trick.

Then again, you might be sitting at 8:1... and a sweet little supercharger might do wonders.... with the iron heads in place.

Honestly, though, to me the Edelbrock top end kits leave a lot on the table performance wise. Sure, the heads are nice but the cam profiles are pretty tepid. If you go that route, maybe think of getting just the heads from Ede and go with a cam from a different mfgr

I’m real happy with my Lunati, but for maybe $100 more you can get a custom grind for your application that will do wonders.

Last edited:
Sorry - I haven't logged in for a couple days. A "496 kit" is a 4.25" stroke crank vs the factory 3.38 stroke 383 crank. It makes the 383 into an engine that makes a 440 look like a 318. If you have a block that was machined and is still in decent shape, and that passes a sonic inspection, you can save the cleaning and machining costs of a build by using what you have. You should upgrade the heads on it, and the cost is more than tweaking your 383 to perform better, but similar (slightly more) to building a 440 from a core. There are other combinations too. And you can always look into fixing what you have. I'm fairly confident your engine has some basic rebuilding and/or parts matching errors in it that limit it's power.

Interesting decision. I have been looking at the Gen III hemi swap option, but have never done one.
I don't want to drop $$$$ on an aftermarket K-Member, so looking at swaps that fit the original K-Member?
What I like about the Gen III is all the modern engine design, accessories, Ignition system, and port EFI.
It is not cheap to upgrade the older engines to roller cams, hi amp alternator, modern A/C, and port EFI with ignition control (although the Throttle Body EFI is getting affordable.)

Going to drive til winter, then will be attempting head & cam swap......thanks to all for all the input!

Auto Transport Service
Back