• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Creative Placement of Ignition Box

70ACBEE

Local time
7:21 AM
Reaction score
I have an MSD 6AL ignition laying around and it's time to rid my 70 bee of points and go electronic. Problem is the bee is an A/C car and there is limited room under hood to mount the MSD box.

Anybody out there with an A/C car that has a creative placment of an MSD ignition? I like the rev limiter in the MSD Box but I have an orange box that is a bit smaller. Interested in your opinions.

Thanks.

You can mount it in the car under the dash or in the glove box, it does not have to be under hood. That will keep your engine compartment looking clean if thats what your after. They give you more than enough wire to mount it in the Box. Good luck.

I've dome under the battery tray and on the inside, firewall area, though I'd supose an A/C car may have a lack of room there as well.

I was just looking at this for my 69 RR yesterday! I'm thinking on the rad support by the horn relay with the power wires facing down. I have two slotted holes in the rad support that line up perfectly with the MSD box. To avoid drilling more holes I will make an aluminum plate and find a third hole near by to attach it to. I can even paint the mounting plate the same color as the engine compartment so it's less of a sore thumb. The power leads from the MSD can get a black flexible PVC wire cover and sneak under the lower radiator tank and the mag pickup leads will fold right in with the horn and ALT wiring.

thats what I did with my newport and it worked well, on the aspen however it will be on the inside of the fire wall along with the coil.

i installed mine behind the glove box and the wires a straight shot up the valley to the distributor on an rb

Great discussion!

Meep-Meep I'd love to see a pic when you're done...sounds like a pretty clean way to do it.

Infront of the radiator support panel.
Condenser in the way.

I'll have a look under the dash. I think there are some A/C ducts in the way, and the A/C - heater core is twice as big as a non A/C core, but it might be the best bet.

My 66 is an ac carunder the dash just not under the hood

I all ways mount them inside the car away from engine heat.

Great discussion!

Meep-Meep I'd love to see a pic when you're done...sounds like a pretty clean way to do it.

Sure, but it may be a couple of weeks before the real installation. Maybe I'll mock it up this weekend and get a pic of that.

I just got done switching over to msd ignition system box, dist, coil. everything. the best place for a 6-al box is under the dash on the inside firewall mount it high enough so you dont kick it with your feet, you never want to mount it in the engine bay because the box will never have a chance to cool down. I made the mistake on a coronet I used to have and mounted it in the engine bay, The box got to hot and after a weekend at the races it never seem to work the same after I mounted inside on the inside firewall it worked great, because now it stayed cooler, it was away from all that heat.

Auto Transport Service
Back