• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

crooked streering wheel pulling to the Right.

Damien B.

Local time
7:15 PM
Reaction score
I ve noticed that my 71 satellite is pulling to the right when the steering wheel is perfectly centered.
Is there a way to fix it once the wheels are absolutely going strait by un tightening something and then rotating another thing until the steering wheel is centered like in this video.

If yes wich part should I disconnect / rotate to get the desired results

Yes, adjusting the threaded tie rod sleeves is the proper way to center a steering wheel provided the steering wheel is correctly clocked on the shaft and the coupler on the steering box. But it’s probably not something you want to try if you have to ask about it. No insult intended, it’s just easy tho get confused making the adjustment unless you have a real clear understanding of the system and how the threaded sleeves need to be adjusted from side to side and in what direction. And then when done, it’s a good idea to check the toe in with a tram gage.

If your car is pulling to one side too, I think the best thing you can do is find a good alignment shop that works on older cars and have an alignment done. That should also include centering the steering wheel but good idea to tell them you need that done also.

I would first put the front end up on jack stands, start the engine, and if the steering wheel moves to the right by it self when the engine starts you need to adjust the valve on top of the steering box.
Check that first

Wondering if it still pulls to the right if the steering wheel is not perfectly centered

Woah there big fella' Does your car pull to the left or is the wheel off center? (if it is of course it will steer in that direction when you center it) 2 completely different problems.

May have worn part's. Would take it to a front end alignment shop and have them check it. Then if they say you have worn part's would replace them my self then take back and have alignment.

Yes, adjusting the threaded tie rod sleeves is the proper way to center a steering wheel provided the steering wheel is correctly clocked on the shaft and the coupler on the steering box. But it’s probably not something you want to try if you have to ask about it. No insult intended, it’s just easy tho get confused making the adjustment unless you have a real clear understanding of the system and how the threaded sleeves need to be adjusted from side to side and in what direction. And then when done, it’s a good idea to check the toe in with a tram gage.

If your car is pulling to one side too, I think the best thing you can do is find a good alignment shop that works on older cars and have an alignment done. That should also include centering the steering wheel but good idea to tell them you need that done also.
No offense taken I m aware that lack the knowledge in mechanic to do everything on my own.
I had the alignment redone by a mechanic that knows a bit about old American cars because my camber was all wrong but now it s the steering wheel that is crooked.
I was hoping for a simple fix like on the one in the video where you only put the steering wheel straight and tighten back the linkage.

No offense taken I m aware that lack the knowledge in mechanic to do everything on my own.
I had the alignment redone by a mechanic that knows a bit about old American cars because my camber was all wrong but now it s the steering wheel that is crooked.
I was hoping for a simple fix like on the one in the video where you only put the steering wheel straight and tighten back the linkage.
The alignment wasn't done properly if the wheel is not straight. Take it back and tell him about it.

Woah there big fella' Does your car pull to the left or is the wheel off center? (if it is of course it will steer in that direction when you center it) 2 completely different problems.
When I m driving on a straight road and I keep the steering wheel straight the car is heading to the right.
When I have the steering wheel turned slightly to the left it goes straight.
Since I m in France finding mechanics able to work on those car for specific issue like alignment is quite hard because they dont have the knowledge the proper specifications to do proper settings

First off I wouldn't watch a video for a 4X4 solid axle truck to make adjustments to a 71 Satellite. Second there is a difference in pulling to the right and steering to the right. Yes you can make those adjustments at the tie rod sleeves, but with your original post, please take @AR67GTX 's advice and find a good alignment shop. Sorry to be blunt, but some things need to be done by a professional. I can do preliminary setups on my suspension, but I leave the precise setup to a professional.

IF all the parts are in good condition.... IF camber & caster are correct, and toe is set correctly, then it's just that the steering wheel isn't centered correctly, and requires equal adjustment on the tie rod ends. The steering wheel must be held centered when adjusting the toe-in.

I can imagine what you would have to go through to find the right mechanic there. I only have one here in the area that knows about aligning these cars and I'm afraid he will be retiring soon.

First off I wouldn't watch a video for a 4X4 solid axle truck to make adjustments to a 71 Satellite. Second there is a difference in pulling to the right and steering to the right. Yes you can make those adjustments at the tie rod sleeves, but with your original post, please take @AR67GTX 's advice and find a good alignment shop. Sorry to be blunt, but some things need to be done by a professional. I can do preliminary setups on my suspension, but I leave the precise setup to a professional.
The video was just an example, regarding the alignment I really wish in France we had people that knew or had the tool/machine to do an alignment. When I took it there they used one of those lift with the Lazer to do the alignment but they didn't have the spec for the car, they only have the specs for the common European cars

If the steering parts and steering wheel is original or original equipment style, you can definitely adjust the toe rod sleeves to center the wheel.
You will need to make the driver's side shorter and the passenger side longer. Just make your adjustments equal on both sides. 1/4 turn on driver's side is equalled by a 1/4 turn on passenger side in the opposite direction. I don't want to tell you which direction to turn the sleeve because these get flipped and flopped though out the life of the car sometimes. You should be able to tell by looking at the threads on the tie rods to determine which way will shorten or lengthen.
Side note is: one end on each side is left hand thread to allow the sleeves to lengthen or shorten the distance end to end.
Not like a rack and pinion in newer cars.
If you have a aftermarket steering wheel or a non stock style pot coupler you may not have master splines which may make it difficult to do this.

Does the vehicle go straight down the road with your hands off the steering wheel?
Does the vehicle go straight down the road with your hands off the steering wheel?
This is where you start. Forget where the we
wheel is pointed, just let go of it and see where the car goes. Be sure to notice any crown in the road, that will make it slightly go to one side or the other. If it does go straight then he just needs to adjust the steering linkage.

If he can align an older foreign car they should be able to figure out these mopars with some effort and trial and error.

many older foreign cars use eccentrics to align them.
Setting toe to get the steering wheel centered is basic to any alignment.
EXCEPT: he needs to center the steering wheel with the engine running with power steering, then adjust the sleeves. Then start the engine again before tightening the sleeves and recheck its straight. This may have been his mistake.

Usually no simple fix on steering normally put the wheel straight then align the tires to match.

What's the "Report card" from the alignment shop say? You did get a before and after report card didn't you? If not, why not? As that's now standard practice now for alignment shops! Good Luck

This reminds me way back when I was a dumbass and had a alignment done on my 70 r/t se when it only cost $19.95
They didn't do the alignment or did a bad one? And was going back to complain. But I found a brand new craftsman ratchet wrench under the top front bumper rubber strip! Cha! Ching!
I kept the wrench, and took my car to different alignment shop... and I still have that wrench!

Auto Transport Service
Back