• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Cross match piant

Gary Stavely

Local time
4:51 AM
Reaction score
Hi does anyone on here know of a newer paint color that would be close to 1967 D code light blue mettalic? I really like the color but where I am from the just don't mix it anymore...

Might look at 2005 VW Speed Blue Code LB5Q/V8

Screen Shot 2022-10-06 at 9.16.19 PM.png

I'm sure there are others, nice thing about VW paints they tend to use smaller metallic flakes in the paint similar to what Chrysler used back in the 60's & 70's....

Some paint suppliers have a camera then can match your paint with.

Changing colors, my paint is 55 yo so even if i was keeping it the same it would be way off from the original color if they tried to match it using a sample of the original...

Just curious, have you ever done that? I'm just curious if they can get it close? I am fixing lower panels on my 62 and the original paint is in great condition and i would like to try to just redo the new spots if they can match close enough..

Just curious, have you ever done that? I'm just curious if they can get it close? I am fixing lower panels on my 62 and the original paint is in great condition and i would like to try to just redo the new spots if they can match close enough..
I had it done by Brown's in Chatham, Ontario (I see you are in Detroit). My car was painted 40 years ago with lacquer and they scanned it and mixed some single stage enamel to paint a set of wheels. I can see a slight difference, but only because I know what was done. Nobody else can pick it out. They initially mixed by formula, but the R4 I needed looked more like R6, so I think their formula was suspect. The scan camera worked great.

I had it done by Brown's in Chatham, Ontario (I see you are in Detroit). My car was painted 40 years ago with lacquer and they scanned it and mixed some single stage enamel to paint a set of wheels. I can see a slight difference, but only because I know what was done. Nobody else can pick it out. They initially mixed by formula, but the R4 I needed looked more like R6, so I think their formula was suspect. The scan camera worked great.
Ahhh thank you, yeah i dont' care if it's 100% i'm just building a beater but would like it to be kinda 1 color and not primer :) ohhh to be 16 again when i didn't care :)

Hi does anyone on here know of a newer paint color that would be close to 1967 D code light blue mettalic? I really like the color but where I am from the just don't mix it anymore...
Where in B.C. are you? The Lordco in Langley has one of those paint match cameras, they can mix just about anything.

Changing colors, my paint is 55 yo so even if i was keeping it the same it would be way off from the original color if they tried to match it using a sample of the original...
Yes- I had a silver camaro come up as a Nissan color- it was damn close.

Well I was a little scared to venture into the unknown and pick a color I might regret for my coronet. Ended up going silver, Going to look awesome...

Last edited:
Yes' I have had paint supply stores use the camera to come up with a match. Depending on the color I can be very accurate, metallic colors are usually around an 85 percent match. Camera matching for example, white is nearly a 100 percent match. It's a numerical grading. 1 being the best and numbers go up as the accuracy falls. When I had the white color on my 91 Crown Vic police car camera matched. I gave them the fuel cap door for them to photograph. The paint came out perfect to me. The paint mixer told me that the numerical rating on the color was a 2 or three, basically on the money. An excellant match. I had a metallic green done, but that didn't come out as a perfect match. It was off a little bit.

Yes' I have had paint supply stores use the camera to come up with a match. Depending on the color I can be very accurate, metallic colors are usually around an 85 percent match. Camera matching for example, white is nearly a 100 percent match. It's a numerical grading. 1 being the best and numbers go up as the accuracy falls. When I had the white color on my 91 Crown Vic police car camera matched. I gave them the fuel cap door for them to photograph. The paint came out perfect to me. The paint mixer told me that the numerical rating on the color was a 2 or three, basically on the money. An excellant match. I had a metallic green done, but that didn't come out as a perfect match. It was off a little bit.

Thanks, i will have to find a place nearby when i get ready to do mine... What i would like to do is just try to match the lower quarters where i replaced metal and leave all the factory paint above that since it's in decent shape (dings and stuff but still great shape for 60 years, and it's a drive) Removing the trim to repaint scares me.. especially around the front/rear windows...

Auto Transport Service
Back