• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Crush sleeve eliminator install.

You can always stick the old crush sleeve back in and if you have something that you can use as a spacer with a large washer, you can use that in place of the yoke instead of putting it back on. Most of the time yokes are pretty snug on the splines so I'll use a 'pre-assembly' spacer for doing preliminary assembly for checking pinion depth and preload so if any changes need to be made, it makes it much easier to take things back apart. And looks like you found one of the reasons why I do not like crush sleeves like the one used in the 89 cases. And checking the bearing preload with the axles in.....is something that isn't right. It's checked without the seal though. Another reason why I like to use an assembly spacer lol. You should be ok on the back lash though and since the yoke nut was loose, you might not get a good reading anyways.
Actually the yoke pulled right off with my hand as well. I bought a puller thinking I would need it to get it off. I definitely can put everything back together and snug it all up and just see what the lash is like. I believe I read around .0010 I can probably use my dial indicator to see what it is.

I'm definitely going to dive back into that chunk this weekend. Today is sandblast and paint everything day. Gotta get this stuff done while I have dry weather in the 80's.

20210806_125016.jpg 20210806_124946.jpg 20210806_124952.jpg 20210806_125003.jpg

Actually the yoke pulled right off with my hand as well. I bought a puller thinking I would need it to get it off. I definitely can put everything back together and snug it all up and just see what the lash is like. I believe I read around .0010 I can probably use my dial indicator to see what it is.
Hope is isn't .001 because that's way too tight for the back lash. Should be more around .006 to .008 off the top of my head. I think the book is .006 to .010....just depends on the run out of the gear and carrier.

Hope is isn't .001 because that's way too tight for the back lash. Should be more around .006 to .008 off the top of my head. I think the book is .006 to .010....just depends on the run out of the gear and carrier.
10 thousands is what I read. Is that .010 or .0010?

Backlash spec in the factory manual is 6 to 8 thousands - after the side bearing preload is established.

Auto Transport Service
Back