• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Curious for Opinions Here - What Percentage of Project Cars Actually Get Completed?

my guess would be: if the project car was given to someone ( death inheritance etc. ) around 20-30% get completed the recipient.
If it was bought by the person wanting to restore it , I’d say around 80% get completed

I realize it's impossible to get actual, tangible and verifiable data on this subject, but I am curious:
How many project cars actually wind up getting done in the hobby?
The ones that wind up abandoned or otherwise sold incomplete - how many times do you think they
change hands over time?
Just curious for opinions here - there's no "right" answer.

Some people are really good at turning a decent project car into a basket case and thinking that this is progress. That's because it's pretty easy and inexpensive to dismantle something. Others know that it is best to leave a potential project intact until you are fully committed and have the time and resources to get it done.

The % chance of a car ever being completed goes down depending on if it is kept intact, and the number of times the car is given up on and transferred to a new owner. The other major factor is the car's rarity and desirability. E.g. Hemi 68 Charger kept intact = 95% chance. Rusty, dismantled, /6 Valiant = 1% chance.

If I only had a couple of them, they would be amazing pristine cars,but spreading the wealth and time over twenty plus project cars, not much is getting finished. Everytime I get working on one of them, a great deal or rare find on parts comes up for one of the other ones tying up the funds and time that should be applied to the one I am trying to finish at the time. After turning 60,I also realized that I have to get the bull work done on them while I am still physically able to do so,and do the finish work in my later years on them. I have been trying to downsize and have done so,but I still buy one now and then if it is the right car at the right price.

I guess that depends on what you mean by "completed". My Satellite runs and drives fine (at least it did before I took it apart, in December), so I've been focusing on fixing the rusty floors and restoring the interior. Once I finish the current round of work, I'm going to have some fun with it, while I figure out what I want to do next. I don't plan to ever stop updating and re-inventing it.

Maybe the finish-line is better defined if your goal is to keep the car factory original. My car has no real collector value, so I have the freedom to make it whatever I want.

My perspective and goals with cars is different I think, I do not view these things as investments. It's a hobby, it is something that costs money but I enjoy.
A lot of cars I have messed with over the last 20 years were not in any way "done" by what I think the definition implied in this thread would be.
But being a working shmuck in nowhere midwest, I have always had to choose between not having a car/project for YEARS while I saved for one, or buying some "cool heap" and messing with it.
Fortunately, my goals are generally "make it do righteous burnouts" and in general new paint is not on the list so many cars have come in, gotten a lot of mechanical things done and some stuff to make them presentable, and then been hooned around until I got a bug for some new thing. Then I would sell the "less heap, more burnouts" to somoene else who always had that twinkle of "time for righteous burnouts" in their eyes(everyone was happy) and picked up my next heap.

My Ramcharger may be the closest thing to "done" but really if I wanted to meet expectations of the old car investment crowd the thing would still need full restoration. But it looks good, no rust on the body, people walk across the gas station lot to look at it and tell me tales of yesteryear about some BS they did with theirs back when(stories of the type that start with "this one time" with a shat eating grin on their face), and I daily the thing to work in the summer. So to me it is "done" and the next thing I picked up was the police sedan. That one has stalled. Inflation is having it's impact.

Wish I had a dollar for every for sale ad I've seen featuring a car that's been "back yard back halfed", that involves cutting everything out but nothing else.

Those cars might actually be worth something had they done nothing to them.

Can only speak for myself and over all these years and car(127)I have only had three that did not get completed by me. One of those has still never been completed.

No car is ever done, there’s always something to do

Absolutely. My red car was painted in 2003 but I keep finding things to change on it. Transmission, suspension, brakes, seats, instrument panel, aftermarket A/C, next up might be tilt wheel.

I guess that depends on what you mean by "completed".

Excellent point. For some, they are only concerned with the car being mechanically sound like the guys on Roadkill.

**************************************************************************************************************************

I've been in a car club in Sacramento since 2003. In that time, the overwhelming majority of the members have talked and done nothing.
I can only name 4 or 5 of the members in 20+ years that have built and finished anything.
In that time, I've not only built my red car but have also bought, painted and sold the following:
74 Duster Red
73 Dart Sport Red/black
67 Dart post
73 Dart Sport B5 blue
74 Duster Yellow
73 Dart Sport 340 Black
I've bought and parted out...
70 Duster
71 Duster
72 Duster
73 Dart Swinger
75 Duster
74 Dart Sport
71 Chrysler 300
67 Chrysler 300
70 Polara
74 Duster
72 Valiant
70 Valiant
....AND bought and "rebuilt" the Jigsaw Charger.
I understand that family men are spread thin and often don't have the time that a guy like me has but in 20+ years, maybe 5% of the club members have built a car. That is really sad.

I'm enjoying everyones' stories and contributions so far - but a quick clarification, since I apparently
didn't do such a hot job of it to begin with:

I'm asking what everyones' opinion is of the overall percentage of project cars out there - regardless
of make, model, etc. - that actually see a level of completion at least back to perfectly functional cars.
You know, as opposed to those who get eventually sold off by next of kin or whatever years later -
or get "discovered" in someones' barn decades later.
Abandoned dreams, as it were...

In general of all car/ pickup projects in the country I am going to say less than 15% ever get completed by the person that starts it. After the second and third owner has it I am going to guess the completion rate improves to 30%. Most people have no idea of the commitment in time and capital it takes to see a major project all the way to the finish line. I bought a 1949 Ford Business Coupe in 1995 and worked on it a lot for the first year and then let it sit in the corner of the garage for 25 years. I've slowly started working on it again the last few years, but I don't have the love for it I once did 30-years ago. The key to getting one done is you have to have focus and you have to work on it daily. Even if you only have 20-30 minutes a day that time adds up over the weeks and months. Will I ever get the Coupe finished? Who knows, I've had it so long I'll probably still have it when I die.

Tom

I wonder how much the market prices have driven (or had no effect, for that matter) the number of formerly
ignored old projects that receive fresh attention from folks thinking there's money to be made now?

Do you think the advent of the worldwideweb, with all the information and videos now available, has stirred
the hobby up any? Do people see others doing it and think hey, I can do that too?

Conversely, with all those shows wherein the car gets totally redone in seemingly a week been bad for the
hobby - when folks dive into their own projects, energized by watching such shows, only to discover it ain't
reality to think it can actually be done that easily?

my guess would be: if the project car was given to someone ( death inheritance etc. ) around 20-30% get completed the recipient.
If it was bought by the person wanting to restore it , I’d say around 80% get completed
I've seen this trend in my small local Mopar community in central Pennsylvania. A fairly high percentage of the premium big block cars survived, helped by the high number of barns on local farms. However, I know of none that have stayed in the family being finished. On the other hand, cars that have been acquired by others seem to always get completed - I see the results at the local shows. My GTXs have often prompted the comment - I know where one is stashed, hasn't been touched in years...the car is always in the hands of the original family.

wonder how much the market prices have driven (or had no effect, for that matter)
Things were sure different when I tackled the 1st restoration; no internet, lots of reading Hemmings and car magazines. Always looking forward to the next edition of Hemmings to find parts and going to the swap meets. Then lucky I got to know a guy who had tons of NOS parts for my car, president of a car club with some helpful connections. When time finally came for painting, waited for a nice day doing it parked halfway out of the garage. My last resto starting about 7-8 years ago, spent countless hours on the web finding parts and then came across this forum. Huge help! Wish I had joined a few years earlier as this would have saved me a ton of time and head scratching. And the advice shared has been golden.

Not sure though, cost of course is a big factor for people not having the cash to buy stuff, and some are more driven (pun?) to build a ride than are others are or need to depend on others = more cash. My 1st resto cost around $7,000, in today’s money equates to around $23,000. And my first was a huge rust bucket needing everything. The 2nd was a CA car with a rather cherry body and this resto cost was near $30,000. Lol, no torching, drilling, or sawing off required for disassembly. Hate to imagine what the costs would have been doing my first one today.

I think the question of "overall" can be broken down by age of the project starter.
I think guys in their 20's, especially nowdays, maybe 10% of them actually have the ambition to start something like a project car. Then I think of that, maybe 15-20% actually will see it through. Most of my life I have seen nice cars absolutely butchered by internet trained millenial hacks, then advertised as "too many projects" or "want something different" or "not enough time to finish" as they realize you can;t be a hack, t's not like making a peanut butter sandwich, precision and knowledge are required. The fast and the furious REALLY hurt a lot of 80's and 90's cars, the number of sawed up interiors, painted up interior panels, "cut springs" with no other suspension adjustments... people took nice cars and simply trashed them out.

When you get into the 30-40 year old crowd, I think the number goes up a lot. Except a lot of them can;t afford to actually do it. This is the age people will sit on a vehicle for a long time thinking they will get to it. Sometimes they do slowly, sometimes not. But for the ones that don't, the second middle aged owner probably will.

I can;t speak to the group closer to retirement. Seems for every guy that works on cars there are a dozen that talk about it, or sit on a car that should have been fixed 20 years ago or sold, but "I know what I got" until that car is a rotten shell and the owner that has had it for 30 years can;t see the rust, they still see the memories when they parked it.
For instance: (not mine!)

1711724773871.png

This sort of thing is common in the midwest. People with big dreams and an inability to let go of memories and such will have a car they drove in winter in the 70's "put away for retirement" and discover salt doesn;t car if you washed it off or not 40 years ago, that "a little bit of rust" isn't fine to ignore for 40 years, that cars from that era were never designed to last this long, and the midwest is not the southwest.

Some people have good intentions. Some people have grand plans, and good ones to boot. But they don;t take action, maybe for finances, whatever. I know a guy that has had a car in storage with 19k miles on it since 1980. Always tells me what he will do with it. He is 68 now, and so far has not done a single thing. His kids will get it I am sure.
I see this, and in my mind the stuff I work on is stuff I know I can work on(well, until recent inflation, making me reconsider things lately) because no way will I sit on a project and hopes and dreams for decades, I would get depressed! Better it went away and out of sight and move on with life then to constantly be schemeing about when I can start or how.
But then, cars aren't investments to me. I don;t really care if it might be worth xxxx amount more in 20 years. In 20 years I will maybe be dead. In 20 years it will look like this poor roadrunner above. I see the "holding on" crowd in mostly the retirement age group. The 90's I think blew a couple of their minds with "investment" opportunity and stuff they sold for $100 being worth 1000 times that, if only they knew! And some simply apply that to everything so you get the above and stuff returns to the earth while they die with their dreams unfullfilled.

Auto Transport Service
Back