• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Custom Console

493 Mike

FBBO Gold Member
FBBO Gold Member
Local time
12:16 AM
Reaction score
Hi fellas,
I am looking for suggestions on materials to build a console. I've seen aluminum and hardboard. Anyone know of any other threads on this subject?
Mike

Hi fellas,
I am looking for suggestions on materials to build a console. I've seen aluminum and hardboard. Anyone know of any other threads on this subject?
Mike
An extremely easy way to build a professional looking console is with 1/4" plywood, foam and fiberglass. I used some light popular boards (3/4" X 3/4") for the frame then glued and stapled the plywood to it, places where you want contours that are hard to get out of wood simply sand the shape out of blue foam. Once your happy put a couple layers of fiberglass on it, from there it can be worked just like any other body panel providing a light and durable result. The foam will need painted with latex paint to prevent the resign from desolving it.
20150524_174450.jpg

Last edited:
Very nice 747. I'll be doing one for a windows based tablet that will control everything. Are there pictures in your build thread?

Very nice 747. I'll be doing one for a windows based tablet that will control everything. Are there pictures in your build thread?
Not much on the actual making of it seeings how it was already done before I joined FBBO. Pics are on the first couple pages of my thread, another member asked about it so there are a few pics of the construction from underneath.

I only show this pic to encourage people to learn fiberglass and show what you can do with minimal tools. After receiving a lot heat for contemplating using a Mach scoop I made this one out of fiberglass. It's a true shaker with a dual quad oval cleaner inside with one quad sealed shut (wanted a lot of filter surface).

For something like this where it will be subject to the elements you simply make a form out of wood, foam, or anything else you want then put 4-6 layers of glass on it, let it set then pull off form and finish it up. Smoothing it is a breaze seeing how it's glass you just fill the lows with fiberstrand (basically the same thing it's made of) then a touch of traditional filler, prime and paint.

20150526_164752.jpg

Auto Transport Service
Back