• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Custom Glove Box not cardboard

Moparfiend

FBBO Gold Member
FBBO Gold Member
Local time
2:24 PM
Reaction score
Anyone build a custom glove box not made out of cardboard? Does it have to be floppy to get in and out? Cardboard was a cheap way of doing this and seemed like a more robust and simple construction should be easy. Be surprised if nobody did this with success…..

I was thinking of building one out of some sheet abs. good choice?? At least it wouldn't short out any wires, if there was any chaffing involved.

I was thinking of building one out of some sheet abs. good choice?? At least it wouldn't short out any wires, if there was any chaffing involved.
Reply yeah scratching and chafing ain’t good! There I go again I sound like Kern Dog lol. Do you have any drawings? ABS would be a great idea!

I am at the point to put the dash in. So this is a good time to do anything.

image.jpg

Find someone with some sheetmetal skills.
Uhhh....good luck fitting that into the dash.
Cars with A/C have limited room to fit the cardboard and it flexes when you install it. Aftermarket A/C kits seem smaller but are thicker and in some cases, the stock glove box won't fit. My Classic Auto Air barely allows a stock glovebox to fit. The Vintage Air unit is thicker and requires the use of a shallower glovebox and relocation of the fuse panel.
The A body line had a flexible plastic shell for the glove box starting in the 70s. It would be hard to duplicate that to fit a B body.

Uhhh....good luck fitting that into the dash.
Cars with A/C have limited room to fit the cardboard and it flexes when you install it. Aftermarket A/C kits seem smaller but are thicker and in some cases, the stock glove box won't fit. My Classic Auto Air barely allows a stock glovebox to fit. The Vintage Air unit is thicker and requires the use of a shallower glovebox and relocation of the fuse panel.
The A body line had a flexible plastic shell for the glove box starting in the 70s. It would be hard to duplicate that to fit a B body.
Good to know KD I won’t waste my time. All the glove box is useful for is to get at the wiring, fuse box and AC stuff anyway. Maybe we should stop calling a glove box (who puts gloves in theirs anyway?) and start calling it “The Electrical and HVAC Port Access Bay”

Yeah....glove box is an antiquated term. I stuff the registration paper in there, napkins, sometimes a screwdriver and crescent wrench....years ago it was rubbers.

Yeah....glove box is an antiquated term. I stuff the registration paper in there, napkins, sometimes a screwdriver and crescent wrench....years ago it was rubbers.
Lol at least the rubbers wouldn’t short out the fuses when you go around a turn! Unlike the wrench and screw driver!

Last edited:
I got a repro from Joe Suchy for my 1964 Dodge a while ago, and it was a lot more sturdy than the original cardboard one. Kind of a fibre material.

Isn't that guy limited to the early B platform? Stuff built before 1966 ?

Anyone build a custom glove box not made out of cardboard? Does it have to be floppy to get in and out? Cardboard was a cheap way of doing this and seemed like a more robust and simple construction should be easy. Be surprised if nobody did this with success…..
It may sound strange but I've cut down
and used Tupperware type containers
on two occasions now. One in my Jeep
and one in my old Plymouth truck.
It took some searching and carrying
a tape measure around to any stores
I visited to check length and width.
The depth is easily trimmed with a
razor knife. Even if length or width
are undersized a little, they're flexible
enough to compensate.

So, where do the rubbers go now?
In your wallet? :lol:

I haven't worn a rubber since 2001.
I don't wear gloves much either. Here is a weird thing, maybe some of you can relate.....
For most of my career in construction, I didn't wear gloves. It was 2013 before I would even wear them in the cold weather. (20s and 30s) Some time in my mid 50s, my hands started to develop cracks at the joints and it HURT to get dirt, sawdust or sand in the open sores so I started wearing those thin mechanics type gloves. I've wondered if cracking skin is age related or what else is to blame....
Since I retired, my hands rarely crack anymore. I'm not handling lumber every day though.

I haven't worn a rubber since 2001.
I don't wear gloves much either. Here is a weird thing, maybe some of you can relate.....
For most of my career in construction, I didn't wear gloves. It was 2013 before I would even wear them in the cold weather. (20s and 30s) Some time in my mid 50s, my hands started to develop cracks at the joints and it HURT to get dirt, sawdust or sand in the open sores so I started wearing those thin mechanics type gloves. I've wondered if cracking skin is age related or what else is to blame....
Since I retired, my hands rarely crack anymore. I'm not handling lumber every day though.
Just giving you a hard time, KD.
Here lately I've resorted to wearing
the fingerless mechanic gloves.
With taking the blood pressure meds,
any bump or scrape brings on the
surface skin contusions. And it doesn't
take much for them to show up. I also
wear long sleeve shirts while working
on the projects.
P.S.....I married at a young age and
never have used a rubber.....

Auto Transport Service