• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Custom Glove Box not cardboard

You could try this stuff from H Depo. It's .062 PVC panel and comes in a 4x8 sheet for $26. You can cut it with about anything. If you have your old glove box take it apart and trace it on this stuff and cut it out.
It's made to use in wet areas.

1/16 in. x 4 ft. x 8 ft. Plastic Panel​

Internet # 202090190​

Model # 63003​

Store SKU # 179646​

https://www.homedepot.com/p/1-16-in-x-4-ft-x-8-ft-Plastic-Panel-63003/202090190#product-section-rr
white-decorative-wall-paneling-63003-e1.1

white-decorative-wall-paneling-63003-c3.2

Covers 32 sq.ft. (81¢ /sq.ft.)
$25.98

• Incredibly durable and easy to maintain
  • Installs best with specially formulated FRP adhesive
  • Highly rated for quality and value (see reviews)
  • View More Details

Why not go fiber glass. Much easier to work with. Won't have a shorting problem like metal. You could use the paper one for a template or just fiber glass the paper one.

As others have pointed out, getting something stiff in there will be a challenge. Maybe multiple pieces? Put it together outside the hole, take it apart and re-assemble in its position. Metal, plastic, wood etc. As fas as a pattern goes, take it apart at the seams, flatten it out on some poster board etc, trace it out including where it had bends/fasteners etc. Probably why they went with paper that was a little flimsy.

As others have pointed out, getting something stiff in there will be a challenge. Maybe multiple pieces? Put it together outside the hole, take it apart and re-assemble in its position. Metal, plastic, wood etc. As fas as a pattern goes, take it apart at the seams, flatten it out on some poster board etc, trace it out including where it had bends/fasteners etc. Probably why they went with paper that was a little flimsy.
The stiffer repro glove box I got from Joe Suchy would not go into place, since I had installed a Vintage Air unit under the dash. I had to cut it in half lengthwise, with a thin cut-off wheel and install the bottom first, then the top. There was some trimming required to get it to line up with original screw holes. I joined the top half to the bottom using some of that multi-holed metal strip that is used to hang ducts, pipes, etc. in homes. By joining from the back of the box, it is not that noticeable.

@Dibbons knows a guy that can fabricate them from Stainless sheet.
He quoted me a price to do one for my 1971 Runner - the price is reasonable.
He has one in his car.
Perhaps he will chime in and give you some more info.

Had the local (Mexican) stainless steel fabricators (that make stainless steel sinks for restaurants) fabricate a package shelf and glove box liner for me. Holes for lamp, radio antenna, and radio wire loom were included in the glove box construction. I marked/drilled the holes for the fasteners myself to make sure things lined up perfectly. This for my '72 Satellite.

bbody glove box.jpeg

Work fiber glass like paper mashie. Take cloth and cut into strips and start laying it on to the paper glove box. I would do an area at a time to build it up. Now that being said did a mold out of cardboard and found the resin will make the paper soft. So can't get the area too wet. LOL.

I haven't worn a rubber since 2001.
I don't wear gloves much either. Here is a weird thing, maybe some of you can relate.....
For most of my career in construction, I didn't wear gloves. It was 2013 before I would even wear them in the cold weather. (20s and 30s) Some time in my mid 50s, my hands started to develop cracks at the joints and it HURT to get dirt, sawdust or sand in the open sores so I started wearing those thin mechanics type gloves. I've wondered if cracking skin is age related or what else is to blame....
Since I retired, my hands rarely crack anymore. I'm not handling lumber every day though.
Yep!!! Wearin' a Rubber is like taking a shower in a raincoat!!! cr8crshr/Bill :thumbsup: :thumbsup: :thumbsup: :usflag: :usflag: :usflag:

Auto Transport Service
Back