• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Daily Driving

FranksCoronet

Local time
6:24 PM
Reaction score
hey guys,
So I daily drive my 1970 Coronet Sedan which has its original 318, and pretty much everything else. I daily drive it and I've run into problems here and there, and I want to start driving it more which means I'll have to increase reliability. So here's my question, what things should I look out for on a car like this, because it's being driven a lot more now than it used to, and also what things should I upgrade or supplies should I keep with me.

So far things I've done include
Carb Rebuild
Water Pump Replacement
A solid tune up (everything)
Top end gaskets
And new tires

IMG_9902.JPG

Just drive it. Issues will come to light. Carry AAA+ or similar. Request a rollback if ever needed. One specific, remove all banks of the bulkhead connector very gently and spray with electrical contact cleaner. Carefully reinstall. It is on the firewall, drivers side and a known problem area. Keep us posted.

Depending on the area you drive in...if you are in a heavy traffic area, I would upgrade the brake system and drive the piss out of it...

You should look at any rubber part. All three brake hose's. All neoprene gas lines, hose's, belts just to start. Its no fun being stuck on the side of the road waiting for a wrecker. Granted you could have a break down but at least reduce the odds

I'd carry a ballast resistor, located on the firewall, it's a common failure item, which fails open and will result in no spark. Happened to me in 1982, in a 73 plymouth valiant. Cheap to buy, easy to replace.

The MOPAR 'orange box' ignition upgrade is a fairly simple, low cost improvement.

Although a painful experience for me, you might consider a front disc brake conversion. I am very happy with the results from my front disc brake conversion and consider it worth the pain and expense (about $1000 total start to finish). Dr Diff is who I recommend if you go this route.

Otherwise, you have covered the common items that deserve attention, and probably have a reliable daily driver for the next few years.

I admire you for your choice of a daily driver. Good Luck and keep us updated.

Replace the vaccumn lines. (One at atime)
If you replaced the water pump, you should replace radiator hoses, and thermostat, and heater hoses.

Give the brake system a really good inspection.

Some here will have you taking the whole car apart. I run the drum brakes on all four corners, though they are 11". www.musclecarbrakes.com is a resource to improve performance if you choose to keep the drum brakes.

Don't forget a fresh fuel pump !
That thing really looks GOOD !

Resistor, rubber suspensions bushings, gas tank and the wiring harness is where I'd be looking. All of them age and cause headaches.

I drive my 69 Satellite convert 318 auto a lot in the warm weather. I've been doing it for almost 15 years. One of the big things I did was upgrade to a big block radiator, shroud and bigger fan. That was huge in keeping it cool in slow traffic. I kept the drums all around and never had a problem. I did add front and rear sway bars and also a Firm Feel steering box and it made a very big difference. One of the best improvements to me. It made it a pleasure to drive.

I do agree with the spare ballast resistor, also some spare fuses too.

I drive my b belv daily I installed a gm alternator and ran a volt gauge instead of amp meter
the charge goes directly to battery where it belongs

For your purposes keep a small selection of tools in the trunk (couple of screwdrivers, a ratchet with the commonly used sockets etc..) and try to stash a spare coil, ballast resistor, ecu (or spare points&condenser) cap, rotor, and maybe a belt..the small easily fixable things that will leave you stranded if/when they fail..AAA an excellent idea as well..like these guys said drive it till something breaks you'll be surprised how tough these old babies are...!

The nice thing is our cars are pretty damn simple, so if something goes wrong you can usually fix it. Make sure you have a complete set of English sockets, screw drivers, several types of pliers, and wire cutters.

Make sure you have a spare ballast resister, ignition box, fan belts, fuel filter, a few feet of fuel line, and a voltage regulator.

Jack the car up and check for excessive wiggle of the front tires that indicate pending bearing failure (learned that lesson the hard way).

Keep some oil, power steering fluid, brake fluid, and trans fluid in the trunk. Also fill an old anti-freeze jug with water and keep a universal radiator hose in there too.

I also would agree with the suggestion to replace the gas tank and fuel sender unit. I drove my car daily for quite a while and then the fuel filter started clogging up over and over. Turned out the fuel tank was rusted up badly and the fuel sender looked like swiss cheese.

Definitely a fire extinguisher. Same sentiments on the fuel system, at least carry a spare fuel filter. At the first sign of filter plugging, get the tank out and at least clean it and coat it inside. Better off replacing it, though. Ethanol in the fuel attracts water.

I would check all the hoses to make sure they are not brittle or soft .I would replace the fuel pump and all the rubber hoses to it also replace the hose at the fuel tank they dry out and won't let the fuel be sucked up . IF the car is still stock you have points and a condenser i would carry spares i would convert it over to electronic in the future . Electronic ignition didn't came out in 72 on some models and became standard in 73 .

Auto Transport Service
Back