• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Dakota Digital gauges...VHX or RTX? Decision made!

biomedtechguy

Accelerati Rapidus Maximus
FBBO Gold Member
Local time
10:58 AM
Reaction score
So about 3+ years ago I bought a VHX Dakota Digital gauge system from an authorized local dealer installer. I kept seeing the gauges on the back cover of my Classic Industries catalog next to the throne, and decided to get it.
Well now that my car is in the shop and the Dakota Digital gauges are towards the end of the workflow chart I see via a Mopar Connection Magazine email that Dakota Digital has a NEW offering, the RTX style. The RTX style looks just like the original factory gauges, including the Tic Toc Tach, and has one large TFT LCD display. It has user setup via APP or switch for over 30 color combinations, and those are available separately for day and night modes. The sweeping lights that go along the tach curve are RPM and color choices user adjustable.
BOTH models will trigger an external shift light.
Retail on the one I have is around $900
Retail on the RTX is around $1500
That's a LOT of money to have light combo choices out the wazoo, as well as true to factory style gauges.
So if I sell my BNIB (never installed) VHX for say...$700 and get the new RTX for $1,400 that's $700 MORE I have to spend for that slight difference.
Here are the 2 styles. I'm not going to post pix of all the colors. My VHX is black/white letters & numbers/RED backlighting.
Screenshot_20200717-121604_Chrome.jpg

And the new RTX:
Screenshot_20200717-121831_eBay.jpg

Is the bottom one worth $1400 to any of you versus the top one for HALF that at $700??
SOLD my VHX, paid for the RTX today.

Last edited:
I will say that the RTX does look vastly better than the VHX, now is it $700 better? Thats up to you. If I were really going for the stock look I would bc every time I looked at them I would be smiling. Since you have brought it up, if you don't do it you will always regret it IMO. To me, the interior and especially the gauges are super important and as such I tend to spend what I need to in order to get what I want to see. I know they are expensive and to be honest, it pisses me off that DD did this when they should have done it from the beginning, the same as for the E body.

the last place I'm looking when going through the gears is the dash.
That's a big factor for me. As I've been debating this today, for a moment I thought that possibly the built in pencil eraser sized warning lights and the light changing sweeping tach arch may be enough to alert me to the shift point, but as it is the quarter sized shift light I have now just barely gets my attention.
So for me, either one will have to have an external shift light.
But...But..."Tic-Toc-Tach"....lol...(it IS nice looking)

Dang....This is a tough choice.
I like the aftermarket appearance of my Dakota Digital setup but IF they had offered the stock looking design at the time I was ready to buy, I would be tempted to go that route.
Often when I am looking to make a pricey upgrade, I work a side job or sell a project car to pay for it. I really try to avoid dipping into the savings account for car stuff, especially non essential things.

It is odd that they moved the small gauge arrangement around.

I will say that the RTX does look vastly better than the VHX
Only when I see them together. I'd be lying to say otherwise.
Since you have brought it up, if you don't do it you will always regret it IMO.
You've gotten to know me, and human nature for "car guys" generally speaking.
I did tell my best friend + Mopar brother "Hey, for that $700 I could buy the rest of the nitrous system" (not counting the S.A.F.E. tank) but don't let this thread go off focus, as my point was for the $700 I could buy something else I will need...
His answer? "Buy both the NO2 and the RTX" LOL...
I know they are expensive and to be honest, it pisses me off that DD did this when they should have done it from the beginning, the same as for the E body.
Yeah, but that may put their product out of reach for some...
I'm forming a decision already, but before I post it, let me read the post above this that came in while I was typing.

The main problem I've always had with the DD gauges is that the font looks like a chebbie.. I talked to them at SEMA probably 3 years ago as a buddy of mine custom ordered a set of his Cuda and made them look much closer to standard E body rally gauges. They were complete unconcerned and basically told me not to buy them if I didn't like them, so I bough Speedhut instead and made my own which I love. They don't look stock but nothing in the car does.

IMG_2295.JPG

It is odd that they moved the small gauge arrangement around.
Without my car here to check, I thought the order of the small gauges looked out of place.
Now WTF?? They make a gauge set that looks like the stock setup (until the power and lights come on) and yet they put THAT system's gauges out of the correct order, but the VHX in the correct order?!?

I have 2 sources to price out the new RDX through. I've already seen it for $1,420 where DD has it at $1,500.
It would help if someone bought the one I have, that is complete and never been installed. I figure $700 is a good price for the one I have since they sell for $800-$900 or more.
I'm forming a decision already
Since you have brought it up, if you don't do it you will always regret it IMO.
Yeah, I'm leaning that way too...
Gotta sell the one I have though.

Well I would normally be interested but after seeing the new one if I were going the DD route I would be looking at the some thing as you.

As someone on here once wrote "it's only money, you can always earn more of it".
I say pay the extra - it looks better and unless you specifically need the extra money, just spend it. The car is a keeper, you'll regret it down the line.

The $1400 set looks too stock to be worth that, and heck, you already have the top custom set. If i spent money to get a custom gauge set, i'd want it to look custom! (Just my worthless opinion.)
And, as 70chall440 said, itxs your car, do what YOU want!

The $1400 set looks too stock to be worth that, and heck, you already have the top custom set. If i spent money to get a custom gauge set, i'd want it to look custom!
That is something I was thinking.
Also, although the colors of the lights that sweep the arc around the tach to indicate RPMs are customizable so yellow and red can match the range of the engine, the "painted" yellow and red line is permanent.
Heck, I shift around 5,900 now w/the limiter set at 6,200...

Auto Transport Service
Back