• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

What are your opinions, Dakota Digital or restored one?

mpro69rr

FBBO Gold Member
FBBO Gold Member
Local time
5:18 PM
Reaction score
Well it looks like I blew the gauges in my instrument cluster so I will need to get a new one. I can get a newly restored one for $1200 or wait about 6 months (backlogged 6 months) and get the dakota digital cluster for $1800. I don't want to send mine out to get restored because the car will be down to long and I want to drive it! what's your opinions, I got permission from the wife to get either one.

My opinion as a mechanic is verify where the problem lies before throwing your money out the window.

My opinion as a mechanic is verify where the problem lies before throwing your money out the window.
I think I know what happened. I was installing a radio and was using the cigar lighter hot wire. I had to return the radio because I thought there was something wrong with it (turns out I needed new thumb wheals). In haste I wrapped the hot lead in tape, being in a rush I didn't do it well and it came off, so I had a hot wire hanging there while driving to get the car aligned. That's when the gauges died, so I believe that hot wire hit metal or something because I just shoved the wire in so I would be late to get the car aligned.

I would slow down, get my test light out and check everything . Big money and DD said 6 months and that could turn to 10 months. Then you have to wire it up so that $1200 is the starting point.

I would slow down, get my test light out and check everything . Big money and DD said 6 months and that could turn to 10 months. Then you have to wire it up so that $1200 is the starting point.
I agree, I will do some testing but I am not good at electronics. If I am going to take the dash apart I want something here to replace it. My plan is to have either one here, take dash apart and test what I can. If I figure out the gauges are good and I solve the problem I will return the one I bought, both have a 30 day return policy. I have no problem wiring it up, I put in a new harness and had the dash apart. I'm learning how to test from the members here, so wish me luck!

Is this a restoration or a nice driver? You can find replacement gauges for the cluster. In any even I think the cluster has to come out. And with it out you can pull the gauges and test them. Replace bad ones and re-install.

Is this a restoration or a nice driver? You can find replacement gauges for the cluster. In any even I think the cluster has to come out. And with it out you can pull the gauges and test them. Replace bad ones and re-install.
Its just a real nice driver, I had it painted and the engine rebuilt and put it all together with new suspension and all. Thats a good idea, I think I will try that, I never took the cluster itself apart, I just replaced the circuit board which was easy. Thanks!

Do you know who would sell the gas and temp gauge? I searched ebay and nothing.

One great thing about sharing information on forums like this is that you can be informed of some of the advantages and the pitfalls that any change can have. For me, I had original gauges in my '70 Charger that were weathered looking. The temp and oil pressure gauges were dead too. I bought a Dakota Digital setup that looks and works great...THEN they came out with a design that closer matches the factory Rallye gauge design. Awww, man, I wish that they were available when I ordered mine, I would have chosen the retro looking, factory style they were making!

Do you know who would sell the gas and temp gauge? I searched ebay and nothing.
OER makes the reproduction gauges for Classic Industries. I'm not sure how wide of applications they have. They DO make individual gauges for the Rallye cluster, not sure about other models.

OER makes the reproduction gauges for Classic Industries. I'm not sure how wide of applications they have. They DO make individual gauges for the Rallye cluster, not sure about other models.
Yes, I looked at classic and yearone, they are out of stock which means they will be that way for a while.

One great thing about sharing information on forums like this is that you can be informed of some of the advantages and the pitfalls that any change can have. For me, I had original gauges in my '70 Charger that were weathered looking. The temp and oil pressure gauges were dead too. I bought a Dakota Digital setup that looks and works great...THEN they came out with a design that closer matches the factory Rallye gauge design. Awww, man, I wish that they were available when I ordered mine, I would have chosen the retro looking, factory style they were making!
Oh that sucks, if I bought something that expensive and then something better came out I'd be pissed too.

working on gauges clusters is easier then changing the dash harness. You got this. I also run an mechanical oil and temp gauge with my stock setup.

While you’re figuring it all out or deciding what to do, add a set of aftermarket gauges temporarily so you’re comfortable driving it for the interim. After you get the cluster issue resolved, you can always remove the temporary setup and have that on hand for another SOS moment on this vehicle or any other.

I had a restored cluster. It was a nightmare especially because I wanted everything to work perfectly. I changed the dead oil pressure gauge, then the voltage regulator dies, then another gauge dies. After pulling out the stock cluster 4 times, I switched to a Dakota and I couldn't be happier.

I had a restored cluster. It was a nightmare especially because I wanted everything to work perfectly. I changed the dead oil pressure gauge, then the voltage regulator dies, then another gauge dies. After pulling out the stock cluster 4 times, I switched to a Dakota and I couldn't be happier.
Yes, I thought about that, what if I have more problems, then I would have wasted $1200. I have heard a lot of good things about Dakota Digital, I haven't heard anyone having problems.

Bite the bullet and buy the Dakota Digital RTX gauges, they come with a lifetime warranty.
I bit the bullet and got one, I actually found a place that had two in stock, no 6 month wait time. I am still going to do some testing before I replace it to see if I can get the current one to work but I wanted to have something on hand.

I had same issue with finding a Dakota dash. You might check Summit racing. They had 5 in stock. It was the non ralley dash, which is what I had anyway. I had it in 4 days.

Auto Transport Service
Back