• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Damn you chip foose

Adam Nathan

Local time
12:35 PM
Reaction score
Just watched an episode of overhaulin where they where fixing up a lovely unmolested original been in the family since new 1970 Cuda black on black heavily optioned car. Well it was unmolested till chip foose got his grubby little paws on it. Gone are the marker lamps front and back. Gone are the fender indicators, gone are the door handles, vinyl top? You guessed it gone. Mirrors managed to stay but he moved them.
Why why why????
Car is no longer black it's now a foose variation of plum crazy with grey accents along the tops of the fenders and with BIG chrome wheels.
Now I'm not saying the car didn't come out nice my point here is that such an original survivor car like this IMHO should have been done as the fender tag states back to factory finish.
I personally wouldn't let Mr foose within 100 miles of my coronet. I happen to like my door handles and mirrors.

He should have been doing all that work to my 38 Imperial 4 door. It really needs help in the design department. Of course I will be criticized by the 38 Imperial people for saying that.

Not the first 'Cuda to get Foosed-Up. He can keep his hands off of my Coronet too.

I don't get the removal or marker lights. That makes a car illegal in a lot of states in addition to less safe to drive at night. Those lights were required for a reason.

Same deal with tucking bumpers in close to the body. There's a reason that gap is there. It's so if you have a minor bump incident it means a damaged bumper and not thousands in body damage.

It was such a lovely cuda to begin with. Another one bites the proverbial
"chip foose" dust
:(

I guess I am the only one that feels if its your car and you want it different, well hell its your car. Did the owners smile and are happy about the Foose design? Did the owners know the Foose design was coming? I don't disagree that as a hobby some of these cars really need preservation, but its your car... I also am one to question the intelligence of a designer that in fact makes the car illegal to drive on the road, unless its intended to be a museum piece. Foose himself has been lost in his designs for years and does not make the best, or smartest projects. He lacks integrity for the law and DOT and NHTSA standards. This is really my biggest complaint with him is lack of following the rules and just make changes owners ultimately will have to get repaired if they are stopped and cited for failing an inspection.. But some of his designs look terrific some not so much...

I like every car he's done. Besides being a great designer. he is an awesome person in real life.

You know he's going to do it either way and if you knew that he would do his own custom touches to it then, Why'd you watch it?

I wish he would knock off the Foose Fade. If that paint gets chipped, which it will, it will be impossible to match.

I've watched Overhaulin with my kids a couple of times and they've asked if I would want to have my car done, and I tell them if they ever help Foose get a hold of any car of mine they are out of the house and out of the will.

I have watched "Overhaul'n" and I know this show you reference. I dislike his attitude and the idea, that he is a better designer than the good people that designed the cars. Many of what you fellow fellow members point out about this show, I agree with. The woman on the Barracuda said she wanted the car to stay black, and good old Chuck decided on his own to change the color. However, that in mind, these people who put themselves on this show to gain some type of fame have agreed to all these mods and are not paying a dime. I viewed an episode where he destroyed a 1963 Cadillac El Dorado convertible.....less than 1.500 were made....The owner should be flogged, but it was the owner's call on this, so shame on him.
There was only one car that he did not destroy and it was a 1956 Cadillac Coupe de Ville.
Since I do not like this show and have stomached enough of this shows on going stupidity, I no longer watch it.

Originality means nothing if the owner doesn't want it that way. Foose can enter my garage anytime he wants.

Geez! Don't get your panties in a bunch. If you don't like Foose, don't have him do your car! it's that simple. @ Eddie, The owner should be flogged??? Why? Because what he likes doesn't jive with what you like?

I would love for him to finished my '63 Fury convertible, to each his own, but most of the cars I have seen him do were piles of crap when he got them, and probably would never get restored, I liked what he did with that 64 Fury a while back. I'm just different when I walk down the show fields and look at the 62-62 B bodies and they are all red, black or white, all have a Max Wedge clone, 440 or crate Hemi, cookie cutter cars that all look alike.....which is why I want mine different from the crowd. Foose does different and it's fine if it's not your thing, he just happens to be an inspiration to me to want something that's stands out in the crowd.

It is reported that Foose is a good and charitable guy. When John Herlitz came up with the design for the 70 'Cuda it was in clay and has stood the test of time. Home run, beautiful muscular looking brute. If I had a 'Cuda, I would not deviate from the original American icon that it is. At least hack-up a 74, not a 70.

I'm just different when I walk down the show fields and look at the 62-62 B bodies and they are all red, black or white, all have a Max Wedge clone, 440 or crate Hemi, cookie cutter cars that all look alike

Sounds like the Chevy crowd with Camaro's, Chevells, etc. etc.

As a designer i see cars that have a lot of work put in them and they turn out horribly wrong. It's only the hot-rod designer that makes the difference. Do you know who Chip Foose took to his high school prom? If not look it up and then tell me what an awful person he is.

Yes every production car can be improved upon. Mopar had the government and production costs to worry about.

Foose does what he does, and if somebody takes their car to Foose then that's their business. Foose and his team are really good at what they do. I just don't like a lot of stuff that he does, but I'm not going to get all sideways about it. Obviously a lot of people love his work or he wouldn't be as successful as he is. So if you like Foose, and he does your car for you, great. If I see your Foose car and I don't fawn all over it don't be offended. I'll just keep walking and not say anything. It just personal taste and I've been told I don't have much anyway.

I think it came out god ugly.. Please PLEASE don't get near our cars!

Auto Transport Service
Back