• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

damned fuel tank!

rr70

Local time
11:16 AM
Reaction score
Hello!
Bought a new fuel tank, I used the old straps to hold it, couldnt get it in place,
Its like the tank wont go high enought for the straps to fully wrap around it, or the straps are to short i dont know..
Really frustrating, spend 4hours pushing and pulling stil not getting it up there.

Anyone had these kinds of problems with new tanks?
Car is a 70 roadrunner, ECS fuel tank.
/Linus

Check to make sure the straps are not binding on the back flange of the tank.

not yet...but thanx for the heads up. i plan on putting a new tank in my 70 Road Runner...now i know what to watch out for. best of luck to ya!

If you have both tanks at the floor beside each other then you can compare if they are same size, maybe you got wrong item that dont will fit on your car properly.

I went and bought new tank straps today, instead of dealing with the old ones,,
and then I saw that the new ones were´t bent, I guess thats why the old ones didnt fit, U need to bend the after the shape of the tank..
Is there anyone who has done this and know a good way to go about it??

/Linus

Attachments

• DSC_0329.jpg
    DSC_0329.jpg
    42.8 KB · Views: 374
  • DSC_0330.jpg
    DSC_0330.jpg
    53.1 KB · Views: 360
Are you using the same bolt of did you get a replacement with the strap? I ask because I bought a new strap for the tank I bought and the bolt that they sent wasn't the right one and it was to short. I spent hours fighting with it only to figure out the bolt wasn't correct.:clock:

Unless the straps are shot, they're better than repro crap. I've replaced a number of tanks & restored the original straps but using new J-bolts. Tight, but never a fight.

Unless the straps are shot, they're better than repro crap. I've replaced a number of tanks & restored the original straps but using new J-bolts. Tight, but never a fight.

When I purchased my new strap it wasn't cheap but they sent a carriage bolt with it instead of the J-bolt. Once I bought the correct bolt it went right together.

i replaced the tanks on a 71 charger and 67 coronet and both cars i had to bend the dog ears up closer to tank so it would raise up nice and tight to car and old straps worked fine. the dog ears i'm talking about are the bends right at the shocks that are on the tanks, the new tanks were not bent up as high as the old tanks. just my 2 cents. tim

Are you using the same bolt of did you get a replacement with the strap? I ask because I bought a new strap for the tank I bought and the bolt that they sent wasn't the right one and it was to short. I spent hours fighting with it only to figure out the bolt wasn't correct.:clock:

I´m planning on using the same bolts, didnt get new ones with the straps,

My original plan was to use the old straps, but after 3-4 hours of struggling I gave up! The "bends" on the old straps doesnt match with the new tank, The result are that the straps doesnt embrace the tank completely, They are slack in the middle, thus to short in the ends!

With new straps I hope to be able to bend them to get a perfect fit!
Do you have any good advise on how to do that? Messure etc..

/Linus

My original plan was to use the old straps, but after 3-4 hours of struggling I gave up! The "bends" on the old straps doesnt match with the new tank, The result are that the straps doesnt embrace the tank completely, They are slack in the middle, thus to short in the ends!

With new straps I hope to be able to bend them to get a perfect fit!
Do you have any good advise on how to do that? Messure etc..

/Linus
So if I understand correctly, the old straps fit the old tank, but neither the old straps or the new ones fit the new tank ? How does the new tank look compared to the original one ? I've never had a problem using the original straps on a replacment tank.

So if I understand correctly, the old straps fit the old tank, but neither the old straps or the new ones fit the new tank ? How does the new tank look compared to the original one ? I've never had a problem using the original straps on a replacment tank.

not quite, I haven´t tried the new straps on yet, as U can see on the pictures, they need to be bent to fit around the new tank, thats what I was asking about, anyone have had experience doing that?

I couldnt compare the old/new tank since I throw away the old one...:(
would have been good though..Original stuff always works best uhu..

Just bend them over a tube with your hands, its not that hard to do, wish I was closer to you, I have been working with sheetmetal for 30 years.

Just bend them over a tube with your hands, its not that hard to do, wish I was closer to you, I have been working with sheetmetal for 30 years.

Yeah that would have been great! Thanks for the advise!
How do you messure out where to bend them?

I replaced the tank on my SSP/RRC last year. The straps got straightened out a little when I removed the old tank. But they were very easy to mold back to the new tank. The metal was fairly soft. A little persuasion from a 3lb rock (sledgehammer head) had them fitting perfectly. If I remember correctly, I left the "T" portion attached to the body and just rolled the straps up to the little J-bolts. I held the tank on my knees/shins while I manipulated the straps into place. Just have to make sure the tank is in the proper location. I even had to install it twice because I forgot to put the pad between the tank and the trunk floor on. Not sure about your car, but my tank had ridges molded in the top that lined up with ridges on the trunk floor. I can see where if you had the ridges high point to high point that the straps would be a bear to install. If you slide the tank a little left or right you can feel it slide into place.

Where did you get the new tank?

I replaced the tank on my SSP/RRC last year. The straps got straightened out a little when I removed the old tank. But they were very easy to mold back to the new tank. The metal was fairly soft. A little persuasion from a 3lb rock (sledgehammer head) had them fitting perfectly. If I remember correctly, I left the "T" portion attached to the body and just rolled the straps up to the little J-bolts. I held the tank on my knees/shins while I manipulated the straps into place. Just have to make sure the tank is in the proper location. I even had to install it twice because I forgot to put the pad between the tank and the trunk floor on. Not sure about your car, but my tank had ridges molded in the top that lined up with ridges on the trunk floor. I can see where if you had the ridges high point to high point that the straps would be a bear to install. If you slide the tank a little left or right you can feel it slide into place.

ok that is actually a big help! To start in the back with the "t-side" work my way towards the front!
my tank has molded ridges, ill make sure they line up!
good thing u mentioned the pad, have to get that!
my tank has molded ridges, ill make sure they line up!

fuel tank

:head_smack:

Auto Transport Service
Back