• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Darn bizarre Engine VIN.

Cojohnso1

Local time
4:24 AM
Reaction score
A 440 pulled from '69 GTX that has '69 Superbee 383 stamping. Same for 727 trans. But with same production numbers as vehicle VIN. The engine is clearly a 440. And no indication that it's not the original engine of the GTX. I've seen a single digit error. But this? I'm guessing someone screwed up on the production line that was attempted to cover up?

Just what a honest owner needs.

There was an episode on GYC a while back with a similar deal.
Mis-stamps are rare, but also happened on VIN tags, of all things.
Nobody had any idea that most of those cars would ever be as valuable as they are now.

Interesting and thanks for sharing but when 'experts' are incorrect, it just causes more confusion in the hobby.

Interesting and thanks for sharing but when 'experts' are incorrect, it just causes more confusion in the hobby.
The point of the post is an example for today's "Experts" That numbers matching is much more important than it was back in the day. Some are obsessed with that mission.

I have had discussions in the past on this issue. Some even heated. That this mission has somehow clouded the very essence of muscle car appreciation. In the day we were not at all concerned with "Purity." It was how much performance thus appreciation one can get with their own efforts from their own hand. And garage.

Don't get me wrong. I understand the dedication and skill it takes to restore to all factory conditions. But I also remember why we first loved these cars. And it's not to create art. It was to push one's own talents in pursuit of performance.

This of course is just my opinion. And many will have very legitimate disagreements.

Not too far long ago some one had posted about a 383 stamped 440. Not too crazy that a human made a mistake. Would be crazier the other way around.

The point of the post is an example for today's "Experts" That numbers matching is much more important than it was back in the day. Some are obsessed with that mission.

I have had discussions in the past on this issue. Some even heated. That this mission has somehow clouded the very essence of muscle car appreciation. In the day we were not at all concerned with "Purity." It was how much performance thus appreciation one can get with their own efforts from their own hand. And garage.

Don't get me wrong. I understand the dedication and skill it takes to restore to all factory conditions. But I also remember why we first loved these cars. And it's not to create art. It was to push one's own talents in pursuit of performance.

This of course is just my opinion. And many will have very legitimate disagreements.

And I would not be one of them.....nice post.

I posted a while back about my 440 that is stamped as a 383.

I posted a while back about my 440 that is stamped as a 383.

20210102_190010.jpg

Auto Transport Service
Back