• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Dead Cylinders

Those cylinders are running mates,check for fuel
or ignition problem.
#1-6
#4-7

If a carb issue I would try the following: With the engine (barely) running, I'd spray some gumout in the carb barrel that feeds the 1/2 of the dual plane that feeds those cylinder(s). I believe it is the right side when looking at the engine from frt to rear. If only running on 4 cylinders, she'll spark to life QUICK if a fuel feed issue.

If a carb issue I would try the following: With the engine (barely) running, I'd spray some gumout in the carb barrel that feeds the 1/2 of the dual plane that feeds those cylinder(s). I believe it is the right side when looking at the engine from frt to rear. If only running on 4 cylinders, she'll spark to life QUICK if a fuel feed issue.
It will also do the same if there is a vacuum leak. I suspect vacuum booster.

It will also do the same if there is a vacuum leak. I suspect vacuum booster.
Funny you should say that. The brakes were extremely sensitive, almost over reacting to pedal pressure.

Are these 4 cylinders connected in any way? Through the carb, ignition etc.?
I would trouble shoot the problem by starting with the simple stuff. Make sure the plug wires are getting juice to the plugs, if so then that's one of the variables to cross off the list and start looking else where. After that I would make sure the ECM isn't going south on you. Keep it simple at first, verify the basics, then if all checks out move on to the next suspect. If your getting fuel and spark then things get more involved, could have collapsed lifters, stuck valves, springs sacked. You never mentioned the age of the engine, cam profile etc. so we're just spit balling here until we get some more information.

Do you have another carb, or know someone with one , it takes 15 minutes to swap one out , I REALLY doubt its electrical with those cylinders dead , besides you can pull a plug wire stick a phillips screwdriver in the end , hold the screwdriver next to metal and have someone crank the engine over you will see spark jump, check the basic easy stuff spark and fuel , if its your spark its about a million to one chance its just affecting those holes

Do you have another carb, or know someone with one , it takes 15 minutes to swap one out , I REALLY doubt its electrical with those cylinders dead , besides you can pull a plug wire stick a phillips screwdriver in the end , hold the screwdriver next to metal and have someone crank the engine over you will see spark jump, check the basic easy stuff spark and fuel , if its your spark its about a million to one chance its just affecting those holes
Going to grab the one off my Cuda.

The ONLY thing I did was rebuild the carb. The problem is def the carb.
Yes, but Nevada dan was asking if you changed the carb after you said on April 8 that you were going to try the one from your 'Cuda. Did it work?

Yes, but Nevada dan was asking if you changed the carb after you said on April 8 that you were going to try the one from your 'Cuda. Did it work?
No never got a chance to go and get that carb. It is in a different location than where I live.

OK I pulled the top half of the carb. I did find some of the very tiny passages on the Venturi boosters to be clogged. I didn't like the way the needles were sticking in the seat assemblies so I replaced them. I shot carb cleaner down all 4 metering jets and got nice flow through the boosters. I put carb cleaner in the plunger hole and got nice flow through the pump jets. Everything else looked fine. I do have 3 questions before I button this up. Are the primary metering jets larger than the secondaries? What color piston springs and what size metering rods? I used the original rods?? and orange springs from factory. I did replace the jets that came with the 1477 kit.

Carter designs often have slightly larger primary jets compared to the secondary side, but with the metering rods in place they flow less. I believe the stock size is .110 primary and .107 secondary jet.

Auto Transport Service
Back