• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

definition of a "street car"

Steet car: anything that you can occasionally put up with that is licensed and insured.
Daily driver: whatever you can put up with every day

Excellent! My added twist/curve on it.

Hot Rod Steet car: anything that you can occasionally put up with that is licensed and insured. Drive anywhere @ anytime during any weather condition.

Hotter than a stock normal car but still an actual & literal Daily driver: whatever you can put up with every day. (That you actually drive everyday no matter what the weather is.)

As for holes in the hood, that’s fine to degree. The above pictured A body is a fine example of just a very mild mod.

For What its worth,
King Street Rules at Bandimere:

SUNOCO RACE FUELS KING STREET

CLASS RULES

* Open to all street-legal cars and trucks – must run between 7.50 and 12.75 to qualify.
* Registration is not required to compete, but is necessary to earn points.
* 0.500 full tree, dial-your-own eliminations, breakout rules apply.
* No electronics (see Rules Regarding Electronics).
* Maximum dial is .30-sec beyond your best qualifying time at the event, no slower than 12.75.
* All vehicles must have mufflers, current license plates/registration, hood, bumpers, grille, glass windows, insurance, passenger seat, steel firewall and operating lights. Must have current tags and registration with car in staging lanes.
* Slicks optional.
* All vehicles must be clean/painted, and free of decals/sponsor lettering on body to participate.
* No towing to the lanes or back to the pit area after a run.
* A bonus points cruise will be held. 50 bonus points for completing the designated run.
* Laddered first round based on Qualifying E.T., and will run on alternating Sportsman and Pro ladders. Sportsman ladder at first event, then Pro at next, etc. Ladder will begin second round if more than 50 vehicles qualify for round one; based on random pair first round. Bye will go to the racer with the quickest qualifying E.T.
* Trophies for Winner, Runner-up, and Semi-Finalists. Monetary payout sent via mail.

c6b0106b-2017-ford-gt-66-heritage-edition-.jpg

Race car with blinkers. I know its a Ford but I'd proudly park it next to my Charger and not lose any sleep over it..

View attachment 848688
Race car with blinkers. I know its a Ford but I'd proudly park it next to my Charger and not lose any sleep over it..
& for $385,000+ (for a FORD) too for the new versions
if you can even find one
a binding, 2 year agreement, not to sell for at a min. of 2 years

-------------------------------------------------------

I'll take the Viper ACR :lol: for a whole lot less
like 66% to 75% less for a low mileage version

2016 Viper ACR 8.4ltr V-10 645hp 600ft#tq #1.jpg

Last edited:
If you got a run strictly Race gas to keep it happy,
that would make it marginal when it comes to street .

If it needs race fuel, then it’s a race machine.
If you can pull up to any normal gas station that’s selling a max of 93 octane, and your car runs happy on it, it is more than likely a street car.

My Bee needs race fuel and it definitely not a race car.

My Bee needs race fuel and it definitely not a race car.
Yeah... used to be able to get premium leaded back in the day. More stock octain for more stock compression. Many forget than GOOD gas was available for the high comp motors of the era.

If it needs race fuel, then it’s a race machine.
If you can pull up to any normal gas station that’s selling a max of 93 octane, and your car runs happy on it, it is more than likely a street car.
Agree about TODAY, but back in the day you could actually get premium leaded for the high comp motors that came from the factory. Some of the max wedge motors were 12.5 to 1 with iron heads. Somebody correct me if I'm wrong. I'm used to it.

The lc 413 max was 11-1, the hc 413 max was 13.5-1. They dropped the compression for the hc 426 to 12.5-1. The max was intended as a race motor. There were many hipo motors from all the big three, that used 10 or 11-1 on cars intended for daily use. The really hi octane numbers those cars used were just research octane numbers, not research/motor like today.
But i remember 96 r/m with lead still into late seventies. That is almost race gas now.
The maximum octane 91 with alcohol is cat pee compared to what was available back when.

The lc 413 max was 11-1, the hc 413 max was 13.5-1. They dropped the compression for the hc 426 to 12.5-1. The max was intended as a race motor. There were many hipo motors from all the big three, that used 10 or 11-1 on cars intended for daily use. The really hi octane numbers those cars used were just research octane numbers, not research/motor like today.
But i remember 96 r/m with lead still into late seventies. That is almost race gas now.
The maximum octane 91 with alcohol is cat pee compared to what was available back when.
Yeah. Better gas. Premium lead like today's premium unleaded. Factory wouldnt make hi comp engines if there wasn't gas to run them. Yeah 12.5 :1. Hard to believe but very true. GOOD gas.

The big 3? Dodge Chrysler Plymouth? That's all remember.

Yeah. 13.5 on th 413 max solid lidter. Around 420 at the wheels. So fast for a car you could buy off the floor. For competition use only glove box. Gotta love it. Yeah...mopar

Street Car - 11.50 and slower (No Roll Bar), DOT Tires, Full Interior (rear seat too), Real Glass Windows, Not covered with sponsor or contingency stickers, Able to drive at least 100+ miles on a tank of pump gas, Foot Brake (No trans brake), No two-step, delay boxes, or other electronic driver aids, Licensed and insured, working head and tail lights.

Otherwise, its more a race car driven on the street, and that's OK with me too :)

my rr does all that. Even has a working heater. Put the Kidd’s car seats in the back all the time. It’s a tad faster than 11.50’s though, it did that with a 440. :)

I say anything that can pass state inspection.

A lot of tracks used to make you take your car for a drive for so many miles, then return to go racing.

my rr does all that. Even has a working heater. Put the Kidd’s car seats in the back all the time. It’s a tad faster than 11.50’s though, it did that with a 440. :)

At Bandimere altitude, your likely mid 11's too :)

They just had a car on Drag Week that ran a 5.99. Yeah, I reckon "street car" is a pretty broad descriptor. :)
That's insane and I'm old....remember PrroStock running 7s and TopFuel running 5s....
I think the best filter for defining a street car is it's ability to drive in the rain...lol!

Last edited:
That's insane and I'm old....remember PrroStock running 7s and TopFuel running 5s....
I think the best filter for defining a street car is it's ability to drive in the rain...lol!
In 2018, the drag week racers had to contend with hurricane force winds and rain, and lost one of their scheduled race days to that rain. By day five though, they had driven away from the hurricane, to their last stop in Atlanta, and were back to running nines...and eights....and sevens ....in their street cars.
After about a thousand miles of driving in the rain.

Auto Transport Service
Back