• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Delay boxes

Canyon707

Local time
8:15 AM
Reaction score
Thinking about a dealy box. Anyone have some thoughts on this??

how hard is it to set one up for racing? and how is it done?

I never used one
I had a few bracket racer friends like Doug Bracey & a bunch of others in the NHRA Super Series brackets/classes
who used them in S/ST, S/G, S/C, old S/E etc. with great success

you could almost run them from the stands with a remote...LOL

Obviously I'm not a big electronic driving aid advocate,
IMO takes driver/tuning skill out too much, put's into electronics control,
but that's just me, it's just not my thing, never has been & probably never will be...
sorry that's not meant to offend anyone, just my opinions/$0.02 cents
If I had to, I'd much rather dial in, to the whether/track conditions, run her out the back door,
unless I was in a class/bracket, like stated above, where I had to hit a specific ET # every pass,
at every event...

Old fart/Old School racing purist mentality maybe...LOL

If I was into dial in stuff & bracket racing
I'd probably have to get use to it thou

when I did race in brackets occasionally I'd run in No Electronics classes/group

I hear Dedenbear Products http://www.dedenbear.com/ stuff is really good
or use to be anyway

good luck either way, what ever you choose

My thoughts, you asked...LOL

Thinking about a dealy box. Anyone have some thoughts on this??

If you are running a class that allows a delay box you will have to run one , just to remain regularly competitive . I run a non box class , but if I have to move up next class does run them . That will be a big cost as I footbrake now and will need to go tbrake, better trans and a new vert . It won't make you better at the tree but it will help you be more consistent , then you can adjust delay to tighten your light

Tex

I'm assume you want to run one of the 'dot' 90 classes? A buddy ran without and so did I and we both did pretty good in the 'dot' 90 classes. It can get pretty expensive too. Also, not only do fans not like watching race cars go soft right off the line, I don't like driving a robot car either and yes, I've had some experience with it. It does make some things easier like when you go to other tracks that are at different elevations but like Bud said, you can tune for it. There are many that run in the Nostalgia Super Stock classes that have to run an index and are very good at it and they cannot run electronics. When I first started watching the Super classes I thought it was great. Everyone foot braked and it was heads up to boot and I really enjoyed watching and racing in the class but as soon as the 'boxes' showed up, everyone in the stands said WTF and before long, the stands were empty. My car was deadly consistent and all I had to do was slow it down a couple of tenths and cut a good light to run a .90. Balls to the wall from light to light is racing and that other stuff.....well.....not for me. I liked the trans brake tho lol

I am just curious I know I would have to run SG 10.90 index but, its just a thought. I was just hoping for a top light start instead of the bottom light. I would have to run flat out to stay under 10.9

My buddy runs one in his 68 Cuda he races in the 10.90 index SuperStreet class. The car will go 10.0's and many are even faster in that class as they all have to slow to 10.90 but they like that big mph on the top end. I will say for a fan watching his class its boring as all heck because most fans dont understand the class and to be honest I dont care for it either. Myself I will always be a foot brake racer as I just love it to much to ever change. But if you run certain classes you almost have to run one to be competitive. Ron

oh by the way Canyon ,
the next class up from me is not an index class - it is called Super Sedan 8.50 to 10.99 - it is just a DYO bracket but most will be using the box so they hit the top bulb like you are looking at . NO throttle stop .
there is only one index class here , Super Gas 9.90
Tex

The standard delay box is straight forward if you're running a transbrake. The box is in line with the brake release button. Let go the button on the first hint of top bulb & the box releases the brake after the amount of time you set into the box. If you go down that road, then you'll get into all the other electronics of throttle stop & stop delays etc, that go with the Super classes modifying the ET of the car.

Not interested in throttle stops. I need all I can get to stay under 10.9.

- - - Updated - - -

is the class Super Sedan just at your track or is it through out most tracks? I know of Super Pro ...

If you are planning to run Super Street it is a .5 tenths pro tree. All of the lights flash at the same time. . A .5 tenths sportsman tree the lights count down. It's hard to run super street without a throttle stop. .. I did it a few times with a mechanical stop...haha a bolt that adjusted how much the carburetor would open.. and playing with adding and subtracting weight from the car.. The cars with the electronics kicked my ***... even though I was #1 qualifier... 10.902..One time. but it's hard to adjust for weather, wind, track as well as the throttle stop cars with the electronics. Good luck. I have seen a few do it without electronics. . Dave Sullivan used to own Sacramento with his Duster in Super Street without an electronic throttle stop.

I think there is a little confusion on what a delay box is. I have ran one for eight years, it is simple just an adustable delay on the trans brake release. This allows you to leave off the top light on a reaction rather than an antipation off the light comming down. This only affects your reaction time, not you et. This is not anything to do with throttle stops, or how hard you leave.. If you old and slow like me you just take away from the box. Young and quick you add to the box. Just go to the delay box manufactures site and they clue you in the best. Works for me. DanO

Dave Sullivan used to own Sacramento with his Duster in Super Street without an electronic throttle stop.

I know/knew Dave & his wife {Kathy? not as well},
she drove the Duster last I saw of them, she did very well too,
they also had purchased an old friends blue 69 RR she drove in Super Pro,
when he updated the Duster, damn it's been years now since I saw either of them..
Last I recall IIRC he drove a 70-71 Hemi Cuda, constantly working on it &
trying to get into the 8.90's {or maybe it was the old Pro-Gas 8.50's ?}
even back in the Fremont/Baylands days...
He was at one time, not sure he ever got it figured out, that was a cool car...

So did Dan Braudrick in S/G 73 Opel GT/SBC Glide,
it was all tune-up, trans-brake & mechanical throttle stop,
Sacramento & Sears Point

Doug Bracey in S/G 41 Willys 7-Up p-u/SBC Glide was great at one time,
with no real electronics, just tune-up, mech. stop & trans-brake
at Sears Point & Sacramento, he won the Winter Nationals like that too...

Dave Smith Jr. the old Sac Raceway owners son was pretty good too,
he had a Daytona, like 85ish with a BB wedge, running 9's in brackets

they were all out testing all the time, just like we were too...

Practice makes perfect, well close anyway...LOL

I never liked Sportsman 0.5 tenths tree, 3 bulbs count down one after another
I ran a 0.4 tenths Pro-tree almost always, much better, all ambers at once...

My car ran poor last night. Just to hot out I assume. I put a AF gauge on it last night running some tests. Running pretty rich so now going to Jet it down a couple and see. It was pretty obivous when it cooled around 8 the car ran great. I talked to a few guys with delay boxes the seem to really like theres.

My car ran poor last night. Just to hot out I assuem I put a AF gauge on it last night running some tests. Running pretty rich so now going to Jet it down a couple and see. It was pretty obivous when it cooled around 8 the car ran great. I talked to a few guys with delay boxes the seem to really like theres.

- - - Updated - - -

end of story

I think there is a little confusion on what a delay box is. I have ran one for eight years, it is simple just an adustable delay on the trans brake release. This allows you to leave off the top light on a reaction rather than an antipation off the light comming down. This only affects your reaction time, not you et. This is not anything to do with throttle stops, or how hard you leave.. If you old and slow like me you just take away from the box. Young and quick you add to the box. Just go to the delay box manufactures site and they clue you in the best. Works for me. DanO

What box do you have??

- - - Updated - - -

how hard is it to set one up for racing? and how is it done?

there are instructions on Biondoracing.com

Auto Transport Service
Back