• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

DeltaV's '70 Charger 500; The Omen

That trunklid is desirable to some restorers....it has the cutouts for the rear spoiler.

XH 56.jpg

Jigsaw has the same style.

Upholstery is here. Bucket seat foam is here. Need to get burlap. Need to get foam for rear seat bottom/back. Headliner is here. Searching for professional upholstery guy. There's one in Hilton Head and there are some companies in the area that do interiors for Gulfstream aircraft. Very nice.

Need to call Layson's tomorrow about a part I ordered in December.

I really should replace the dash harness because of age, but I don't want to remove the pristine windshield. I don't want to break it. I'm putting it off while I find an upholstery guy for the seats.

Been dripping Kroil oil on various fasteners.

Need to get going on the heater box...order stuff.

Hobart welder is staring at me every day. Still have to order gas.

Working OT this year; 6 days per week. Eats up free time, but extra income is nice.

You can do the dash harness the hard way,I did it that way on my Bee and the challenger I owned . The charger will be my first car I pull the whole dash frame.My windshield is shoot Im so excited.

There is a thread on speakers and comments on radios. I'll post mine here and cross-post to the other thread.

Here is my front (with dust patina):

IMG_20230223_172306017.jpg

My rear package shelf is squirreled away in the house.

Anyway, my fender tag and broadcast sheet show R21 radio and the broadcast sheet shows R31 rear speaker. One rear speaker.

R21: Solid State Radio - AM/FM 5.5 Watt 1,934 built 7.1%

R31: Rear Speaker 8,089 built 29.7%

Source:
1970 Dodge Charger Registry

The other thread (for posterity) is here:

How many speakers did the 1970 charger have?

There is a thread on speakers and comments on radios. I'll post mine here and cross-post to the other thread.

View attachment 1423191

Anyway, my fender tag and broadcast sheet show R21 radio and the broadcast sheet shows R31 rear speaker. One rear speaker.

Source:

Shoot, it's going to rain this coming weekend. Better post pics now:

Here is my factory original rear speaker in its original location... driver's side.

IMG_20230223_180409287~2.jpg

My original package shelf was damaged when I moved from Texas to Washington State. The car stayed in Texas and car parts followed me around the country.

You will note there are speaker openings on both sides, but the right side has a felt covering on the underside of the package shelf.

Bottom side showing left speaker opening and felt insert at right opening.
IMG_20230223_180716826.jpg

Top side showing left speaker opening and the right opening is obscured by the felt insert on the underside.
IMG_20230223_180746137.jpg

Bottom side showing both speaker openings and the felt insert is near the right opening and flipped over to show the grille imprint.
IMG_20230223_180806843.jpg

Time to order a package shelf from Legendary (next time they have a sale).
Maybe I'll order the jute padding they recommend too.

Last edited:

View attachment 1423191

Source:

weres the pic of the HOLY GRAIL am/fm radio? :lol:

weres the pic of the HOLY GRAIL am/fm radio? :lol:
I really knew someone was going to ask. I should have known who! :poke:

Anyway, R21: Solid State Radio - AM/FM 5.5 Watt 1,934 built 7.1%

IMG_20230223_190249129.jpg
IMG_20230223_190401703.jpg
IMG_20230223_190647514.jpg

I'm thinking of a Steely Dan song now. :D

My 70 Road Runner was born without a radio (aka "radio delete"). Someone had hacked one in the dash (but luckily never cut an antenna hole in the fender) and I wanted a radio anyway. I found a 1970 AM radio, but the few AM/FM units were crazy expensive. I had the AM radio converted to AM/FM/ Bluetooth, etc. It works great and I love it, EXCEPT when you have to tune a FM station - I have no idea what frequency I am on!
IMG_4369.JPG

Bottom line is you have a great radio lots of people like me lust after! :moparsmiley:

See you have a classic air in your car how well dose it works. I put my out vents below the dash and just does not seem to cool my runner like my other vehicles with factory air does. Any ides. Looking for the factory dash output vents so I can convert my dash to them. That may be the problem with the output too low in the car. My shifter and console is really cold. LOL.

Without being in your car, measuring vent temps, etc...I'd guess that is the issue.

Cold falls.

You want it to start out as high as possible, to be effective.

See you have a classic air in your car how well dose it works. I put my out vents below the dash and just does not seem to cool my runner like my other vehicles with factory air does. Any ides. Looking for the factory dash output vents so I can convert my dash to them. That may be the problem with the output too low in the car. My shifter and console is really cold. LOL.
I don't want to hijack @DeltaV 's thread, but the Classic Air system works great. My vents are under the dash, which, as @Triplegreen500 points out, is not ideal. But they blow cold and the car is comfortable even in very hot weather. Not quite as great for the passengers in the back seat as they don't get much air.

I looked into putting factory A/C vents in my dash, but I have an AirGrabber so the center vents are out of the question. The side vent locations on my dash have metal that I have to cut out to make them fit. I would like to do that one day but it is low priority.

I don't want to hijack @DeltaV 's thread, but the Classic Air system works great. My vents are under the dash, which, as @Triplegreen500 points out, is not ideal. But they blow cold and the car is comfortable even in very hot weather. Not quite as great for the passengers in the back seat as they don't get much air.

I looked into putting factory A/C vents in my dash, but I have an AirGrabber so the center vents are out of the question. The side vent locations on my dash have metal that I have to cut out to make them fit. I would like to do that one day but it is low priority.
All good here. I am curious about Classic Air, but I'm not going to add a/c to my car even though it is often hot and humid in Savannah.

The supply chain still has issues, but some parts are in stock for the time being. Time to add a few more "just-in-case" parts for the '70 Charger. Arrived today.

IMG_20230603_134346243.jpg

The Mrs. '20 Charger for sense of scale.

what might that be?
Today's "just-in-case" parts:

IMG_20230603_153400138~2.jpg
IMG_20230603_153204742_HDR~2.jpg
IMG_20230603_153148873_HDR.jpg
IMG_20230603_153140258~2.jpg

Rear valence panel
Lower rear corner, LH
Lower rear corner, RH
Trunk floor to valence reinforcements, L+R set

Last edited:
B5 is my favorite color. I also have ‘70 500 that is much like yours. It gets a lot of looks. Good luck getting it back on the road again!

D32A8E96-2946-4873-9DA0-CE6E4FEA440F.jpeg

303C5D6F-EB79-4365-827B-A35E4AEADD84.jpeg

Two more "just-in-case" parts arrived today. Ordered on June 10th (of this year ):)

IMG_20230613_162107839.jpg

650-2668
Deck Filler Panel - 68-70 Charger

755-2668-1L
Quarter Panel Patch - Lower Rear - LH - 68-70 Charger

Last edited:
Auto Transport Service
Back