• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Dickey Betts won't be rocking......

Well that sucks.
Thanks for the great music Dickey.
RIP

Sad to hear, I was a big fan. He outlived most of the rest of the band.
His son and one of Allman's sons have a band that is making an appearance next month near me that I am planning to buy tickets for.

R.I.P.

A Dickie Story:
It was a daytime outdoor concert at U of F on Lake Alice Field decades back when it was Dickie Betts Band and Great Southern for maybe 10,000 students.
I was working the monitors on stage left and in the middle of his show the amp (Crown D-60a) driving his personal stage monitor HF horn failed. Since the band has a lot going on onstage, was rather loud, and we were outdoors uncovered, it was very hard to figure where or what the noise was we were hearing, that was mere feet from Dickie and pointed right at him. He ended losing it mid song, and without a word pushed his monitor off the front of the stage, took his guitar and knocked down all the microphones onstage including a number of cymbals ( there were 3 drummers?) and stomped off stage and entered the RV dressing room right behind the stage. The band was dumbfounded and slowly came to a stop, and also walked off stage and they entered the same RV.

As we are working on stage to get the tech end under control as the audience patiently waits, we notice the RV shaking back and forth as we hear commotion inside.
The RV window next to the entrance door suddenly opens and Dickie comes slivering out head first falling to the ground.
The RV entrance door slams open, and 3 or 4 irate large size fellow band members coming charging out and pick Dickie up and they proceed to shove him back thru the RV window, headfirst, and then quickly return to enter the RV and the commotion continues.
15 minutes later they all return to the stage and the show continues like nothing ever happened. :lol:

BTW, it was widely shared back in the day that Dickie had a Black belt.

Last edited:
RIP
Only got to see him once while still with The Allman Bros at The Beacon.
Excellent show!

Sorry to hear it, although 80 seems like a pretty good run for a rocker. 80 is feeling younger and younger as I'm now less than 20 from it, myself. R.I.P. Dickey and thanks for some great music.

Last edited:
Saw them many times. The biggest event was Watkins Glen, NY. The best band ever and their music will live on into eternity. Sad day for sure. R.I.P.

Rip , a great guitarist indeed, one of my favorites from him.
Dickey is the dude with the hat.

Sad day! One of the all time greats!

Auto Transport Service
Back