• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Did all 73 big blocks come with electronic ignition?

Curt Chambers

Local time
6:52 PM
Reaction score
I'm restoring a 1973 Charger Rallye. It was originally a 400 but someone put in a 440 along the way. The 440 is 1973 but I don't know what it was out of.

When I pulled the distributor to check it out I noticed it had a set of points in it. I was under the impression that all 1973 big blocks came with electronic ignition from the factory.

Thanks

In 72, usually only the hi-po cars came with EI and then all were supposed to come with it in 73.

Actually
71 was option on 340 cars. Weird.
72 was option on any car.
73 was standard on all cars.
Never came across any 71 cars with it but all of the 72 hi-po I came across had it but none of the regular passenger cars did....I guess no one wanted to pay extra for it. Was it kinda expensive as an option?

Well in 71 only 340's could be optioned so not many out there. N23 was the code in 71 and 72. Don't know the cost.
Had a 72 RR 400 4-spd that did not have it.

What about industrial/truck/marine/RV 440's? I agree that all CAR 440's had electronic ignition and I've never seen a '72 without it either (though I totally believe moparmark had one)

I don't know about those other applications. To me it sounds like Chrysler was a bit unsure about their new ignition with the way they phased it in. I also have a 72 Charger 318 down in the yard that doesn't have it. Had a 72 Coronet 318 w/o. A 72 Coronet wagon 400 2-bbl with it and a 72 Charger Ralley 440 with it.
My 73 W200 360 has it.

Yeah, Mom did some strange stuff but even at that, they weren't nearly as strange as some of the stuff Ford did!!!

I had a 69 fury with a "transistorized" ignition system which was the predecessor to the electronic, I think it was one year only

Thanks for the replies. Why someone would drop an old distributor into a 73 is beyond me. So sounds like I need to look for a new distributor (and the box, and a coil too).

72 and up should have electronic ignition.

I've been reading up on distributor recommendations since I obviously need to purchase one now. Lots of debate over which one performs better. I have a mild build on my 440 and just want something close to stock. I'll also need a box and coil, and don't want to do a lot of tuning.

Which setup comes closest to factory components? Or should I just buy a reman? Thanks.

MP made a conversion setup but I've heard they had problems with the distributor. Don't know if they are available.
You could just buy a new box and rebuilt dist. from NAPA, Autozone etc. Can use the same coil. Then just find the EI harness and add it to you motor harness.
On the box, 4-pin uses the single ballast resistor and 5-pin uses the dual resistor

If you need one done up that's what I do on the side. Give me the specs on the sock configuration of the motor and I will look up the factory specs for you. Year, size, carb, trans is what I need to do it.

Auto Transport Service
Back