• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Did any 426 wedges show up in early 66 cars?

AR67GTX

FBBO Gold Member
FBBO Gold Member
Local time
9:28 AM
Reaction score
When I purchased a FSM for my 66 I was surprised the Hemi was not covered in it and was in a later supplement. But I was also surprised the 440 isn’t covered in the engine section either - but the 426 wedge was. I guess there wasn’t much advance info given to the writers of the manuals by the engine development engineers. Just curious if any left over or late 426 wedges actually made it into early 66 Furies or Polaras?

There were many 426W's in many models of '66 cars. Not that many 426 Hemi's though. A buddy of mine got a '66 Coronet original Hemi 4 speed car without the the motor & trans, 2000 miles on the car. He switched to 440, sold K member, copied my 440 build. Those were the days.
EDIT: As I recall the only 440 cars in '66 were the new Chargers.

There were many 426W's in many models of '66 cars. Not that many 426 Hemi's though. A buddy of mine got a '66 Coronet original Hemi 4 speed car without the the motor & trans, 2000 miles on the car. He switched to 440, sold K member, copied my 440 build. Those were the days.
EDIT: As I recall the only 440 cars in '66 were the new Chargers.
I don't think the Charger got the 440 until 1967, although they could get the Hemi. Imperial got the 440 in 1966 though.

I didn’t think the Charger got the 440 until 67 too and then the 375hp version. I thought only the 350 hp 440 showed up in 66 in C bodies. I figured the biggest engine in B bodies in 66 was the 383 until the Hemi became available - but maybe not. But was curious if any 426 wedges made it across into 66.

When I purchased a FSM for my 66 I was surprised the Hemi was not covered in it and was in a later supplement. But I was also surprised the 440 isn’t covered in the engine section either - but the 426 wedge was. I guess there wasn’t much advance info given to the writers of the manuals by the engine development engineers. Just curious if any left over or late 426 wedges actually made it into early 66 Furies or Polaras?

The answer to your question may be contained in Technical Service Bulletin (TSB) 66-19 https://www.hamtramck-historical.com/images/TSBs/1966/66-19_page1.jpg
The full bulletin can be found here: https://www.hamtramck-historical.com/1966-TSB-Index.shtml

Well been wrong many times, but I thought the 440 was introduced in the '66 Charger, maybe wrong. Don't think the 440 was in the C bodies till '67, but my memory is fading. The 426W was available in many '66 models, B body's, wagons and others, no doubt about that.

Saw a 66 Sport Fury with a 440. What made me believe it was factory was the 66 440 hood ornament. @Nate S do you know Tom Eflin? He was part owner in a concrete plant never you. He's probably pasted away now.

Well been wrong many times, but I thought the 440 was introduced in the '66 Charger, maybe wrong. Don't think the 440 was in the C bodies till '67, but my memory is fading. The 426W was available in many '66 models, B body's, wagons and others, no doubt about that.
440's were put in the Big C bodies in 66 so it is possible to have one in a Sport Fury in 66.
No 440's in B-Bodies until 67.
I can't comment on the 426Wedge.
But I've never seen a 66 Charger with an original 440, people think they exist but as far as I know they do not.

350 h.p. 440 showed up in C-bodies in 1966, replacing 413 in Chrysler and Imperial, and 426W in Dodge and Plymouth. 375 h.p. 440 showed up in B-bodies for first time in 1967. Was available in C-body as well, except Imperial. Magnum in Dodge; Super Commando in Plymouth; TNT in Chrysler. I read somewhere that Hemi installations in B-bodies did not actually start until October, 1965. Perhaps 426W was used in real early production, but I have never seen one. I know that if I had ordered an early 426 Hemi Coronet, based on early advertising, and had received one with a 426W instead, I would be pi$$ed!

The 426 wedge was not on the option sheet for any 66 mopars. I have heard a few rumors about Mr Norm special ordering a few Dodge Coronets with them for 1966.

My uncle bought a new 66 300 and it had a 365 hp 440. It was on the pie plate. Should have also been available in Dodge, Plymouth I think.

350 h.p. 440 showed up in C-bodies in 1966, replacing 413 in Chrysler and Imperial, and 426W in Dodge and Plymouth. 375 h.p. 440 showed up in B-bodies for first time in 1967. Was available in C-body as well, except Imperial. Magnum in Dodge; Super Commando in Plymouth; TNT in Chrysler. I read somewhere that Hemi installations in B-bodies did not actually start until October, 1965. Perhaps 426W was used in real early production, but I have never seen one. I know that if I had ordered an early 426 Hemi Coronet, based on early advertising, and had received one with a 426W instead, I would be pi$$ed!

All 1967 Imperials were 440 only. All were the 350 HP single exhaust.

You are correct.

Saw a 66 Sport Fury with a 440. What made me believe it was factory was the 66 440 hood ornament. @Nate S do you know Tom Eflin? He was part owner in a concrete plant never you. He's probably pasted away now.
No, I never knew him.

I thought that the 440/365 took over from the 426/365 for ‘66. Being so similar I guess it wouldn’t be much of a shock if they mixed a little.

My uncle bought a new 66 300 and it had a 365 hp 440. It was on the pie plate. Should have also been available in Dodge, Plymouth I think.
Not in any B bodies for 66. I have a 66 Satellite that was said to have been ordered with a 440. He got his 440,but it was a dealer installed 67 440.

Many years ago, we had an original owner bring his 66 Fury to one of our local shows. He had bought the car new, and you could tell it was a really nice "survivor" car. It was factory 440 with the hood ornament to match. It did not have the raised "HP" style exhaust manifolds, but just the standard log type. I would assume it was the same engine as a standard Chrysler would have had that year. It was a beautiful double black car, and I fell in love. Tried to talk the guy out of it, but of course, it was NOT for sale, and I have not seen it since.

The answer to your question may be contained in Technical Service Bulletin (TSB) 66-19 https://www.hamtramck-historical.com/images/TSBs/1966/66-19_page1.jpg
The full bulletin can be found here: https://www.hamtramck-historical.com/1966-TSB-Index.shtml

That is interesting. Don’t think I ever heard of or saw a 440 with a 365 hp sticker or rating that I remember. Sort of makes sense though as except for a couple tenths rated compression, it was probably pretty much identical to the 426/365 engine. Maybe it carried a 365 hp rating with dual exhaust and 350 hp with single exhaust.

Auto Transport Service
Back