• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Diff issues 489/3:55

Last edited:
I mean absolutely no offense whatsoever to you by this. But if you don't know where the pinion nut is, or the difference between Green or OEM style tapered bearings, you will really struggle to properly set up a gear set. A couple more things to think about. A factory 489 case uses a crush sleeve which is compressed by the pinion nut. Once it is set, you really shouldn't reuse it. Most people use the newer crush sleeve eliminator when rebuilding a 489, then you can remove the yoke to replace a seal, and just re torque without worrying about changing the original measurements. Also, if you put in a new ring and pinion and it makes any noise, even after just driving it for a few mies, chances are about 99.999% certain that you will not be able to adjust the whine out. Kind of why I recommended just buying a new pig from Dr. Diff. And his will come with a crush sleeve eliminator installed.

Last edited:
I had a friend who owned a rearend shop (since passed away)
He used to say, and tell customers, that once a set of gears whine, they will ALWAYS whine, no matter how good the next setup, or technician.
That said, I hear a lot of complaints about noise from the current avalable gearsets, almost all of which are made "offshore" on cheaper equipment.
Hate to say it, but there's a good chance a new gearset, even set up perfect, won't be any better than what you have now.
If you can live with it, I'd leave it.

And put on louder mufflers, lol.

There is a rearend company out there that guarantees that their centers are quiet...... but they ONLY do nine inch Fords, so I didn't bother remembering their name.

Auto Transport Service
Back