• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

difference between 14" disc brake spec wheel vs. drum brake wheel?

If you have a problem it will likely be the where the hub splays out and it welded on the outer ring.
I have SSB's on my Charger. Magnum 14 " wheels fit fine, stock wheels I needed to put a 1/4" spacer to move the wheel out away from the caliper.
and do you know if those stock wheels came on a drum brake or disc brake car originally? maybe all I need is a 1/4 spacer? that would be easy

Last edited:
MoPar disc brake wheels have flat centers between the lug nuts.
If you have 'lumps' between the lug nuts, you have a drum brake wheel...

Easiest way to tell. If the guy says you need to run the disc wheel, believe him and get a set or there will be an interference someplace.

Be prepared - they cost $$$.
Good info. I may try to find a spacer and see if I can make them work with that.

Good input. 5.5 or 6" wide?
Mine are 6 inch wide stock wheels, I'm pretty sure. As I remember, they do have the "bumps" in between the lug holes, so these are not disc brake spec wheels... but I'm hoping I can find a way to use them or I may have to rethink my whole wheel/tire combo. What sucks is I already spend a decent amount of time cleaning and painting the wheels I already had and also got all new tires mounted, installed, balanced, etc.

My understanding is:
On drum wheels, the rim is smaller in diameter where the inner piece is welded.
Typically causing the tabs on the inner piece to contact the caliper. A spacer will move the rim out far enough beyond the tabs.
Disc wheels have a larger diameter inside the outer ring.
The only difference with earlier wheels are the larger hub cap area, the rim is the same.
I believe most if not all later rims were 'disc' wheels.
Some kits fit the earlier rims, some don't.

20190119_125246.jpg

My steel wheels are original 1966, no disc brakes were available then.

My understanding is:
On drum wheels, the rim is smaller in diameter where the inner piece is welded.
Typically causing the tabs on the inner piece to contact the caliper. A spacer will move the rim out far enough beyond the tabs.
Disc wheels have a larger diameter inside the outer ring.
The only difference with earlier wheels are the larger hub cap area, the rim is the same.
I believe most if not all later rims were 'disc' wheels.
Some kits fit the earlier rims, some don't.

View attachment 707444
Thanks. that's very helpful. really like the review's and price of the Dr diff kit. You wouldn't happen to know which kits will fit original wheels?

My 66 Satty has factory manual disc brakes. I have 14" Magnums. The hub bore is very tight. The PO ground the hub down a tad to make them fit.

Auto Transport Service
Back