• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Difference between 71-72, and 73-74 charger suspension.

The 73/4 spindles are taller than the 71/2. I've used the MF 2" drop spindles on the 71/2's but not the 73/4"s.
You'll also notice that the 73/4's take larger T-bars cuz they are heavier than the 71/2's. A bare 73/4 K-frame weighs about 40# more than the 71/2. For handeling the 71/2 is much better. Also 73/4 have to pull the T-bars to pull the tranny.

you do not have to pull the torsion bars to remove the transmission... all you have to do is drop the trans crossmember to make it easy, and then that is not a necessity to remove the trans, you can remove the trans with the trans crossmember still mounted.

It's been several years but I thought when dropping the tranny down you had to pull the T-bar mount. Guess I should go out in the yard and bend over and look under one. Even though I've owned alot of the 73/4B's, like 20-30 of them, I never really liked them that much. Haven't done any serious work on one in years. Have 3 I'd like to get rid of.

How do you drop the tranny without removing the tranny mount?

well the transmission mount itself you have to remove (hell you can keep it in the trans crossmember to be honest, just unbolt it from the trans itself), but the trans crossmember can stay put.

to do this you remove the mount or keep it there (like stated above), unbolt from engine/flexplate, push it towards the rear of the car (with the front of the car elevatedby whatever method you choose) then bring the bellhousing down and slide it forward and sideways out and away. (assuming you disconnected the driveshaft, the linkages, and trans cooler lines already)

it aint easy, matter of fact its a real PITA, but it can be done. It's pretty messy too :D

Thread resurrection!

The upper control arms on my 73 look an awful lot like the ones on my 87 5th Ave.
Spindles are the same as well. Hell, everything might be, except the T bars and LCA.
Bet the LCA is same as 71/72.

I thought this was a very interesting observation and when I found an 82 5th Ave in the local u-pull-it, I jumped at the opportunity to take a peek. What I found was very interesting.

I did a little reasearch and found that the R body cars spindles are actually suppose to be identicle to the 73/4 B-body and F, J & M-bodies too!

As for the upper control arm assemblies, I searched and searched and could not for the life of me find enough information to say they are the same or different so....

I went back and pulled the upper control arm assemblies spindles and prop valve. Everything for like $50 or $60 so that I could document what I find so that if they are the same it may provide for a cheaper source of replacement parts.

I figure if these are the same as my 74, I can refurbish them so that at least that part is done before even starting the rest of the suspension work... the UCA bushings look to be a real pain in the a$$ to replace on the 73/4! lol

Will post back with pics and measurments when I do get around to comparing these assemblies

Auto Transport Service
Back