• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Difference between a Sure Grip and a Dana Power-Lok

My 64 Savoy with a stock 74 440 auto big tires shucked all the ring gear teeth (42 case) in 20 runs, spool and 35 spline axels
Dang. Who set up the gears?? Do you know what the back lash was?

Dang. Who set up the gears?? Do you know what the back lash was?
There when I bought the car, did have a Max Wedge but the previous owner bought it for engine then stuck the 440 in it. After rear broke in went the Dana and still there to this day, that was 1992. There’s ways I would build the 8-3/4 that I think would make it stronger. One is heating up the gears to 450 for 5 hours then cool slowly. 95% of gears are street gears and HARD-BRITTLE. Heating make them a tad softer, an old guy told me this in the 1970s, nascar thing he said.

There when I bought the car, did have a Max Wedge but the previous owner bought it for engine then stuck the 440 in it. After rear broke in went the Dana and still there to this day, that was 1992. There’s ways I would build the 8-3/4 that I think would make it stronger. One is heating up the gears to 450 for 5 hours then cool slowly. 95% of gears are street gears and HARD-BRITTLE. Heating make them a tad softer, an old guy told me this in the 1970s, nascar thing he said.
Used to be able to get the "pro" gears for the 8 3/4 but as the 9" became the chosen one everybody (aftermarket) gave up on the 8 3/4. Setting them up with a little bit tighter backlash seemed to help a little....and using just a little bit of clutch to help preload the drivetrain did too but going to the Dana was the best thing we did for all the parts concerned.

The term "Sure Grip" is a brand name that the Chrysler Corporation used to describe their limited slip differential. General Motors had brand names for theirs, Ford and AMC did too.
You could have a clutch or cone type and the term Sure Grip would still apply.
My experience.....Many called the 8 3/4" cone type limited slip the "Auburn" unit since they were known for producing those. The Dana Power Lock uses replaceable clutch discs to facilitate the limited slip action and is often preferred since it is rebuildable.
Aren't sure grip clutches replaceable also?

Now I have to make a weak point in the drive train thinking front u joint whats your thoughts? Remember I do stupid strong.
Use the better U-joints and don't use stock axles.....

Auto Transport Service
Back