• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Difference RU4 VS RU11 Ballast Resistor?

Dibbons

Local time
7:44 PM
Reaction score
My '72 Satellite has a two wire ballast resistor. I found a spare in the glove box marked RU11 but online search tells me it does not fit my application and that I would need an RU4? Anyone know the the differences here? Thank you.

Look at the blades of the resistor. They are usually marked with the resistance value. If the number is the same, so is the resistor.

I thought all 72 Satellite models had the electronic ignition which takes the 4 prong resister.

I guess the lowly two-barrel 318 had to wait one more year for the electronic system to become standard equipment.

Some cars had electronic ignition in 72, but it wasn't standard equipment yet. It was used across the line starting in 1973.

Learned something new today. I had always thought 72 was the year it was standard..I now know it was 73..

4 barrel cars got it in 72.

7 is the difference.

Auto Transport Service
Back