• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Differences in fitting 5.7 or 6.4?

Qtti

Local time
5:44 AM
Reaction score
Hi guys. I have 2006 5.7 truck hemi and 545rfe transmission combo in my '68 Charger now. I'll get my car painted, and that's why we pulled out the whole engine/transmission combo couple weeks ago. I'm thinking now whether to update new motor or not.. I'm interested in buying a new 6.4 gen3 hemi, and here are my questions:
- is the 6.4 bigger in size/longer/wider than 5.7? If, how much? Will there be problems in fitment? I have Borgeson smaller steering box and SSBC 9" brake booster
- can I use existing 545rfe, so is the bolt pattern etc the same?
- does 6.4 need oil pan with center sump? If, who makes those? I've factory K-member (or should I buy tubular K-member)
- do I need new motor mounts or can I use existing 5.7 mounts?

I know that I'll need a new wiring harness and a new computer.

Any other issues?

Thanks, Sami

I'm interested in knowing the answers too... I am doing a 5.7 swap now and may want to upgrade in the future...

The 6.4 has better heads, more cubic inches, a better manifold, better exhaust manifolds, more power and torque.

They are the same size externally. Its all just bore and stroke. The 6.4 is a variable valve timing engine and will require a different controller. That different controller will not run the 545rfe. I'd stroke the 5.7 and build a better package for probably less money. Then get the ecm tuned for the modifications.

They are the same size externally. Its all just bore and stroke. The 6.4 is a variable valve timing engine and will require a different controller. That different controller will not run the 545rfe. I'd stroke the 5.7 and build a better package for probably less money. Then get the ecm tuned for the modifications.

Is there an answer to controlling a 545rfe with the 6.4?

Just tell hotwireauto.com (Chris) your combo and he will build the harness for that set up.

6.4 has the air door on the back of the plenum. Longer than the 5.7/6.1 - check firewall clearance.

Is there an answer to controlling a 545rfe with the 6.4?
Hotwire may have a solution. What I can say is in 2003 the transmission controller was stand alone from the engine. I don't see a reason you couldn't run an engine controller setup for the 6.4 and wire in that TCM to control the transmission....but you'd have to figure out the wiring and logistics of that. But seems doable to me.

Auto Transport Service
Back