• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Difficulty of replacing frame rails

Rusty knuckles

Local time
2:47 AM
Reaction score
Looking at a car that's gonna need some frame rail replacement due to rust. Both front and back on a 68-70 b body. I've never done such a thing but I'm quite handy with a welder and tools. How difficult is this job to do and keep it right in a general sense? I'm just trying to guage whether I should punt on this car and move on looking for something else that's more solid.

images?q=tbn:ANd9GcQBRwAuPr3YozNHCwxkoYedUcFtm0Fn_nTWbA&usqp=CAU.jpg
WileERobby say " where there's rust... there's more"

That is a sight to behold. I'm impressed. This car I'm looking at isn't sentimental. It's just a 440-4spd coronet that happens to be in a reachable price range. But by the time I get done taking the holes out of the Swiss cheese I'm just thinking I might should just bite the bullet and get one that's solid.

a couple things to ponder.. by the time you replace all the rusted sheet metal could you have bought another for less or the same. is the car gonna be worth what you put into it ? and do you have the time,shop space,mponey and a patient and forgiving wife ?

i have replaced quite a bit on my 67 318 satellite if i had it to do over again. yes i would .i love working with my hands and having projects to keep me busy . and the satisfaction to stand back and say I built that.

I'd move on ,getting to old for that, but some like the challenge !! Also your Rusty knuckles may become Bloody knuckles , if you do take this on !!
Good Luck with your decision,

One other thing to think about. Is there anything to set this car as special? I mean is a Panther pink 4 speed hemi car or is it just a slant 6 3 on the tree belvedere. If it has some rarity to it it might be worth the effort.

Last edited:
A ‘69 Satellite sold recently on BAT for $90k after fees. Granted, it had a Gen 3 and a 5 speed... but at this point, they are all worth saving.

edit: it was originally a 318/904 car.

Build a frame jig first using the old alignment pin holes in the frames as guides and go for it. Only way to learn is do it yourself since you say you are handy with a welder and tools. Don't get discouraged because it is going to take a long time and alot of work. I am in the middle of floor pans on my Roached Runner now myself.

20210807_203004.jpg 20210807_203010.jpg 20210811_195841.jpg 20210811_195848.jpg

i did both front frame rails on my road runner plus the torsion bar crossmember measure it and do one at a time

I think I've got myself talked out of it. I have another solid car waiting in the wings and I think I'd be better served converting it to 4spd instead. I know the car won't get crushed but I'll let someone else tackle it.

Build a frame jig first using the old alignment pin holes in the frames as guides and go for it. Only way to learn is do it yourself since you say you are handy with a welder and tools. Don't get discouraged because it is going to take a long time and alot of work. I am in the middle of floor pans on my Roached Runner now myself.

View attachment 1237342 View attachment 1237343 View attachment 1237344 View attachment 1237345

I wholeheartedly agree with this post. His pictures look just like mine!

IMG_0019.JPG

RGAZ

Its not to hard. I had to change one rear frame rail and patch in a part for the torsion bar support.

Came here just to praise everyone who has done these frame rail replacements. I've never done one, but I've done enough work to appreciate the folks that do. I respect it and love to see people keeping these things from a crusher.

Auto Transport Service
Back