• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Disaster - Major Fuel Tank Issue

I recently spoke to Spectra and the only tank they sell for a 69 charger has the fuel injection pump in it, they no longer sell the plain jane one and I could not find a plain Spectra brand one anywhere. Rock auto, 521 etc.

I would look at running one of those tanks with the sender, but Tanks Inc don't do a tank for ECS with 4 vents. If I was to convert to non ECS, what would I need to do to make it work?
Not much... You can leave the hoses open, plug the hoses, eliminate the hoses... If you want to you can plug three and attach one to the vent nipple on the tank... All those hoses do is route fuel vapor to the carbon canister under the hood... Most cars that stuff has been striped off of years ago.. Not that it hurts anything, it's actually good in that it reduces fuel smell... But it takes up space, doesn't look good & weights a few pounds.. On modern cars they have sensors to detect a leak but on old cars they just don't do much..

Dave6T4 is absolutely correct, I also bought a tank and sender From Rock Auto, for around the same price, money well spent. In addition I have repaired the original tank using an Eastwood kit to reseal the inside of tank just for a backup now.

New tank is on order. As soon as it comes in I will document the changeover in this thread. Decided to go with the Tanks Inc tank and sender as suggested by @1 Wild R/T

Screenshot_20240407_091522_Chrome.jpg

Screenshot_20240407_091729_Chrome.jpg

I tried to find stock components to go back in but its very difficult to get them. Spectra have discontinued their ECS tank and finding a decent sending unit is nearly impossible. I thought I found one for $400 but it was sold. I could have used a non ECS tank, but in the end decided to use the Tanks Inc sender as well. Looking forward to an accurate gas gauge reading lol.

Last edited:
I have a 10 day wait until it arrives here, then I will install it. Let's see who gets theirs in first. You have a head start on me lol

Tanks Inc. IMO is the way to go! I just went through this with my 69 GTX. I did a lot of research and that's who I went with, but I also converted it to their in-tank fuel pump - love it! New tank, sender, fuel pump from Tanks Inc, new stainless steel straps and die cut top tank pad from Classis Industries. Also replaced the fuel filler grommet from Amazon.

I have a 10 day wait until it arrives here, then I will install it. Let's see who gets theirs in first. You have a head start on me lol

I'm betting on you. I work horrid hours and 6 days per week for the next few.

Also I finally opened the box last night to see all the goodies, and somehow they shipped me a Reed Switch sender instead of the floatless one.

Contacted Mike @ Tanks Inc this morning, sent him a photo of the incorrect item this evening, and he is sending out the floatless unit tomorrow.

Extremely good customer service. Definitely would recommend Tanks Inc.

So far I have been impressed with Tanks. I am looking forward to receiving the goods in my hot little hand.
Sorry to hear about your work woes, good luck getting it in and running. Let us know when you do.

Last edited:
In preparation for my new tank, I removed the old one with a crack in it. Its such a shame as the original tank is in amazingly good condition. Oh well, its done 54 years, that's probably enough.

First I cut the old hoses off near the tank. This is an ECS car, so has the 4 nipples on the side. Those are the original hoses folks with the KV logo printed on them and also wearing the original undercoat.

20240413_125913.jpg

Then I disconnected the sending unit wire and the pickup hose that connects to the sending unit. I started working on the J bolts for the straps. They are a little tiresome but only due to road grime and some of the original spray on undercoat being in the threads. No rust at all.

WhatsApp Image 2024-04-13 at 16.56.35_d5030167.jpg

I chocked the tank with my hydraulic jack and a old piece of scaffolding plank to support it while I lowered it down. I siphoned as much gas as I could from the tank, but there is still a bit in there, so I wanted to be careful not to cover myself in gas. Especially since I removed the filler tube so I could lower it down.

20240413_125921.jpg

Success. Did not get covered in gas and the tank is safely on the ground in a controlled manner.

20240413_131641.jpg

I really am shocked what great condition this car is in. You have to love those California cars for their lack of rust. Check this out.

20240413_131843.jpg

Unfortunately the trunk pan has to be replaced as it is rusty from the top due to the trunk seal failing. That is a shame. When you look at what it could have been, the underside says it all.

The next job was to bend up some tubing for the vent and drain back line. I want to use the original ECS tube in the trunk for this rather than vent it like they did in the other 49 States. That presents a challenge, because the the tubing should run uphill to the trunk vent tube, but my new Tanks Inc tank has its vent tube near the top. That does not leave a lot of wiggle room to route the tubes through the frame rail in the factory location, whilst keeping that slight uphill slope. I have done as good a job as I could with it, so time will tell if I actually have it right. So long as it can vent, I don't see too much of an issue.

20240413_132641.jpg

Once satisfied, I fitted them and also rattle canned the underside of the trunk where the old tank sat. This is a temporary repair until I replace the trunk pan (which will not be now).

20240413_152314.jpg
20240413_152319.jpg

In this shot, it looks like they are falling the wrong way. It is more the camera angle that does that.

Then I crimped on the hoses to the ECS tube and blocked off the two I won't be using.

20240413_152358.jpg

That's about all I can do now for prep work until my new tank arrives. Hopefully by next weekend it will be here. More to come on that.

I took a look at the problem area. Its a bit hard to see here, but I think it was a combination of a brand new seal and a weak point in the steel ring that caused all of the problems.

20240413_131650.jpg

Auto Transport Service
Back