• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Disc brake conversion

ultramag870

Local time
9:32 AM
Reaction score
Ive got a 69 gtx with manual brakes im wanting to convert to disc.. What will swap what year will work and what kind swaps.. Or should i spend the money for a conversion kit

...if you can find them. F/M/J also work.

Search these forums for numerous discussions that will reference other sources with detailed info.

If you're looking for either the 73-76 A spindles or the FMJ's, I have both. I used the 73-76 A disc set-up on a 69 Charger I had and they worked great.

So i just find an a-body in junk yard.. And get spindles and backing plate setup.. Will my prop valve work or will i need the one off car in junk yard?

Good luck finding a late A body in a junk yard.
I go to 3 or 4 different yards about once every six weeks.
I see an average of one A body per year, and the spindles are the first thing to go.
Usually gone by the time I see the car.
I've even noticed there seems to be a run on F/M/J spindles lately.
By contrast, there's usually half a dozen F or M bodies in one or more yards.

Not sure about the A body setup, but the F/M/J has a "Texas" shaped combo valve that's both a distribution block and a prop valve. Real easy, except for plumbing the lines and matching the fittings. Not terrible, but takes some effort.

If you were working on a pre-73 A body, you'd need the uCA because of the ball joint size.
You will notice that the lower ball joint is different.
You'll need to bolt your 69 BJ to the donor spindle, which may or may not require a couple of somewhat hard to find bolts and or nuts. Mine didn't.

I used the F/M/J spindles on my 66 belvedere and the brass proportioning valve off of a 73 - 76 a-body. The brakes lines conected up to the proportioning valve the same as original. The brakes work great. If you need part # for the calipers and rubber brake lines I can get these for you.

i just used scarebird adapter plates.they work great.let me use truck calipers and ford rotors.ended up pretty cheep.

GA66- what hoses did you use? I've got Cordoba hoses on mine, but I'm not sure the banjo hole is lined up.

Are your calipers to the front or the back? mine are to the back because of a sway bar.

Thanks.

Mine are mounted to the rear. When I get home I will get the part # for the hoses.

GA66- what hoses did you use? I've got Cordoba hoses on mine, but I'm not sure the banjo hole is lined up.

Are your calipers to the front or the back? mine are to the back because of a sway bar.

Thanks.

Don't remember the application but the brakes hoses are BrakeBest
part # BH99069
The calipers part # are Cardone 18-4144 and 18-4145. This is for rear mount calipers.

Thanks.

Hey, we've had this convo before.

same part # is all B body 73 and up.

Still not sure my banjo bolt holes for the lines are alligned.
Guess I'll find out soon enough.

having a B-body myself ('68 Coronet) with the same question, I cant help but wonder if Cordoba brakes will work on my car. each article I read says something different, some says change UCA's, some say the spindles wont bolt up, some say they're a bolt on.....it gets a lil confusing lol

Call Master Power Brakes. The disc brake kit they sell including spindles is what I bought and they told me it is based off of a '79 Cordoba. So yes, the spindle from the Cordoba should work. I recommend using the calipers from the '71-'73 A/E bodies though. I had that on my car and it stopped great, then I swapped it out for the MP brakes Caliper and then a Wildwood Dynalite and the caliper from the '73 E body felt better to me.

having a B-body myself ('68 Coronet) with the same question, I cant help but wonder if Cordoba brakes will work on my car. each article I read says something different, some says change UCA's, some say the spindles wont bolt up, some say they're a bolt on.....it gets a lil confusing lol

Auto Transport Service
Back