• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Disc brake HELP!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

747mopar

Local time
12:34 PM
Reaction score
When I bought this car someone had already converted to disc brakes and I'm having trouble getting it the clear "EVERYTHING". Please if you have pics "lets see them". Here's the problem, if mounted forward they hit the factory sway bar mounts and if mounted on the back as they are now the driver side brake hose bolt hits the lower control arm. For some reason the passenger side caliper doesn't seam to have as big of a mounting pad for the hose and clears fine but not the driver side. Here's a pic of the problem and the setup "sorry, covered in dust". DSCN8770.jpgDSCN8769.jpgDSCN8768.jpg

swap calipers from side to side

I had the same issue on a car I had so here is what I did for a low cost solution.
I swapped the calipers from side to side.
The issue with this fix is that the bleeder is then located on the bottom and not the top.
At that point I had to get creative to bleed the air from the calipers.
I removed each caliper from the mount and hung it by a wire with the bleeder towards the top.
Then I inserted an old pad that was similar to the thickness of the rotors between the new pads. (a block of wood would also probably work too)
Then we bled the system to get the air out.
Once completed, I remounted the calipers.
This is not the easiest way to bleed air out but it beats snapping a brake line off at the claiper while driving.
Suprise! No brakes!

Already tried swapping them "they hit the sway bar mounts then". Might try swapping calipers, wonder if the bleeder threads are a common thread? if so I may just re-drill them.

The calipers go on the front! Cut off the sway bar mounts,you re not using it anyway. You also have the wrong brake hoses. You need the hoses that screw into the caliper. Do this before you die please.

The calipers go on the front! Cut off the sway bar mounts,you re not using it anyway. You also have the wrong brake hoses. You need the hoses that screw into the caliper. Do this before you die please.
No worries of anyone dying, I'm in the construction faze and it is not drivable yet "just trying to sort out all the problems". By screw in I'm assuming you mean that the hose has a threaded end instead of the block? What's wrong with these hoses? They come standard on allot of vehicles and are suppose to be the right ones for the later B Bodies. Like I said it was already done before I got it and I'm just trying to sort it out "this is the way it was". Thanks for the advice, I'll pull it apart tonight and get it all straightened out.

The kit I bought specifically stated that on 68-69 Bbodies with a front swaybar, the calipers should be installed on the back. I have heard a lot of guys installing them that way also with no problems. So I would assume it doesn't really mater. Maybe the spindles or calipers are not the correct ones you need for your car?

I dug threw a two foot pile of magazines tonight and it's obvious that it doesn't matter which side they are mounted on. By the looks of the pics there is a caliper that has a different hose input so I'll research it more "I don't want to chop the sway bar mounts off".

You better get in touch with MaMopar, and inform them, as they managed to mount the calipers on the back side of my front Dana 60 on a 5000 lb truck.
It's normal to put them on the backside, just make sure the bleeders go to the top. From there, you need to get the right hoses.

You better get in touch with MaMopar, and inform them, as they managed to mount the calipers on the back side of my front Dana 60 on a 5000 lb truck.
It's normal to put them on the backside, just make sure the bleeders go to the top. From there, you need to get the right hoses.
Yes bleeders are up, Can someone tell me what year and model the calipers are that you are running. I really think that might be the issue, these calipers have a big long casting coming down to the hose location that serves no purpose other than creating a clearance issue. I'll dig threw the receipts and see if I can find exactly which pones I have.

- - - Updated - - -

Alrighty, it only took me two seconds to find the receipt and get the info. The calipers I have are for 75-77 Cordoba's, 73-77 Chargers, and 73-75 Roadrunners.

- - - Updated - - -

After searching Cardones sight I found the problem "I think", here's a pic of what I have (73-77 Charger).184064-01.jpg Now here's a pic of one for a 72 Charger184065-01 (2).jpg This should fix it, the big chunk hanging down on the 73-77 is were the problem is. Going to get it ordered

My kit uses everything from cars from the mid 70's F-body. 1976-81 Aspens and similar.

Thanks a million Beasty, I've been going threw all of my books trying to figure it out and they all counterdict each other making it more confusing. I read your link and printed it off to take to the garage with me "very, very helpful", it looks like I have all of the right stuff except the caliper and hoses. I'll pull it apart tonight and double check everything to confirm what it is "taking notes for the future". I loved the part of the article where they talk about "why anyone would want to give up they're heavy Timken taper bearings for those tiney roller bearings conversions" when talking about rear disc "I've never understood why anyone would do that conversion". Also it was interesting to hear them say that Chrysler only went to rear disc because of being pressured and thought there wasn't much of a performance advantage "I've also thought the same thing or at least for a cruiser". Thanks allot

- - - Updated - - -

My kit uses everything from cars from the mid 70's F-body. 1976-81 Aspens and similar.
Wonder why????? If you can post pics I'd be interested to see the differences. Does it require special brackets?? At any rate I think I got it figured out, Thanks

Glad it helped, wish that had been in my knowledge base in the early 90s, instead of figuring it with my buddies back then.

Wonder why????? If you can post pics I'd be interested to see the differences. Does it require special brackets?? At any rate I think I got it figured out, Thanks

I would love to but my car is at the body shop getting fresh paint.:VB toast:

Auto Transport Service
Back