• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Disc brakes on 1964 440

what caliber brackets did you use?
75 Dart caliper brackets. There are two different rotor sizes used on the "A" bodies, 11.75" and 10.87" and the brackets are different sizes depending on which size rotors they're designed for. Both bolt to the "A" body spindles as does the original steering knuckle.

This is the "A" body spindle with the original '64 steering knuckle bolted on ready for the caliper brackets, calipers and rotors. The original front sway bar is installed as well.

IMG_5686a.jpg

The "A" body disks originally mounted on the front side of the spindle but when this sway bar is used you need to move the caliper to the rear side. Very easy to do as all that's required is switching the spindles side for side and it does not change the steering geometry.

Just got s copy of mopar action and one of tje articles has a 1967 belvedere.a complete build sheet and has all the brake stuff to make it work on b body's.

When I wanted to upgrade,I wanted something "new" and not a design from the 80's.
I went with the SSBC basic kit,manual disc.It bolted right on to my 63 spindles. I also wanted something that would stop me when I had the chance to go to the track.So far they have performed fantanstic with no problem stopping at the track from almost 150 mph.I can tell I will have to install rear disc soon as my speed will increase this year to upward of 160mph.
So,,,,,IMOP if your going to UPgrade then upgrade instead of a minor improvement.

6.16.13 006.jpg 6.16.13 007.jpg 6.16.13 008.jpg 6.16.13 009.jpg

I will look into this thank you for the info.

When I wanted to upgrade,I wanted something "new" and not a design from the 80's.
I went with the SSBC basic kit,manual disc.It bolted right on to my 63 spindles. I also wanted something that would stop me when I had the chance to go to the track.So far they have performed fantanstic with no problem stopping at the track from almost 150 mph.I can tell I will have to install rear disc soon as my speed will increase this year to upward of 160mph.
So,,,,,IMOP if your going to UPgrade then upgrade instead of a minor improvement.

View attachment 587874 View attachment 587875 View attachment 587876 View attachment 587877
This is an excellent idea if you're going racing with big HP under the hood. Just about all of the modern aftermarket setups will perform a little better than the stock stuff from the '70's. That said, if you're on a budget like many of us and want to improve your braking, there are stock options (E body and A body) that will save you $$$ compared to the "kits" that are currently on the market. However, it's nice that we have choices for these old Mopars. I can remember when our options were way more limited.

This is an excellent idea if you're going racing with big HP under the hood. Just about all of the modern aftermarket setups will perform a little better than the stock stuff from the '70's. That said, if you're on a budget like many of us and want to improve your braking, there are stock options (E body and A body) that will save you $$$ compared to the "kits" that are currently on the market. However, it's nice that we have choices for these old Mopars. I can remember when our options were way more limited.
I understand what your pointe is.Scavaging parts is better than the drums,,,,,but not by much.I do remember when I was in my teens and 20's being on a "no" budget and having to save up when stuff broke,,,,,and I broke alotta stuff:lol:
I did NOT go for the aluminum calipers or the drilled slotted rotors.Just the basic kit that came with everything right down to the cotter pins.So we are talkin about 4 or $500 more for a system that will last forever.The way time flies, it could be 10 years since I installed the SSBC kit and the pads are hardly worn.Granted,,,,,,,,I ony put about 1500 miles a year on the car but they certainly did what I needed them to.If your just a cruiser and don't go much over 60 or 70 MPH then the scarebird stuff has been around for over 15 years and I never heard of anyone crashing from brake failure.I just preferred the 4 puck caliper over a single puck.
I had the single master with 10 inch front shoes up to when I was going mid 10's @127 when I had a wheel cylinder let go.Went over the stripe.........stepped on the brakes and the pedal went to the floor.I started pumping for my life and slowed it down enough so when I got to the curve to the return rd the spool help slow me down even more keeping me out of the dirt.Idled right past the ticket window and drove right onto the flatbed.My friends came running over telling me how great the run was!!I told them the car GOES great but it won't stop.But hey........that's racing.Break out the cooler!!:steering::rofl:

Last edited:
I understand what your pointe is.Scavaging parts is better than the drums,,,,,but not by much.I do remember when I was in my teens and 20's being on a "no" budget and having to save up when stuff broke,,,,,and I broke alotta stuff:lol:
I did NOT go for the aluminum calipers or the drilled slotted rotors.Just the basic kit that came with everything right down to the cotter pins.So we are talkin about 4 or $500 more for a system that will last forever.The way time flies, it could be 10 years since I installed the SSBC kit and the pads are hardly worn.Granted,,,,,,,,I ony put about 1500 miles a year on the car but they certainly did what I needed them to.If your just a cruiser and don't go much over 60 or 70 MPH then the scarebird stuff has been around for over 15 years and I never heard of anyone crashing from brake failure.I just preferred the 4 puck caliper over a single puck.
I had the single master with 10 inch front shoes up to when I was going mid 10's @127 when I had a wheel cylinder let go.Went over the stripe.........stepped on the brakes and the pedal went to the floor.I started pumping for my life and slowed it down enough so when I got to the curve to the return rd the spool help slow me down even more keeping me out of the dirt.Idled right past the ticket window and drove right onto the flatbed.My friends came running over telling me how great the run was!!I told them the car GOES great but it won't stop.But hey........that's racing.Break out the cooler!!:steering::rofl:

I wouldn't call replacing old 10" drums and a single pot master cylinder with new 11.75" disks a minor upgrade, even if you are using stock parts. The difference is night and day and increases safety by a factor of 10, especially considering the addition of a dual master cylinder.

Four piston calipers are a good idea if you're going racing and you need to stop repeatedly from 120 mph or greater speeds, but for normal even "spirited" street driving IMHO this setup really isn't needed. My point is, there are less expensive options available for those who don't need gigantic rotors and multi piston calipers, and the expensive "kits" that are out there aren't necessarily the only way to go.

Well folks after all the input and some research i am braking with the mopar stuff. I can put on mopar parts and support them. If i want to get real fansty i can have the calipers power coated the same color as the car and still be in a good budget.

I wouldn't call replacing old 10" drums and a single pot master cylinder with new 11.75" disks a minor upgrade, even if you are using stock parts. The difference is night and day and increases safety by a factor of 10, especially considering the addition of a dual master cylinder.

Four piston calipers are a good idea if you're going racing and you need to stop repeatedly from 120 mph or greater speeds, but for normal even "spirited" street driving IMHO this setup really isn't needed. My point is, there are less expensive options available for those who don't need gigantic rotors and multi piston calipers, and the expensive "kits" that are out there aren't necessarily the only way to go.
Centerline been following your build on the 64 that is a nice ride. Need more info on steering wheel deal i would like to more info. Looking for the chrome horn wheel mine is missing. You did s great job on the redo and saved money this is some of the stuff im looking for so i can do mine. Thank you for the detail on that build what a great looking ride.

Auto Transport Service
Back