• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Disc Conversion Rotors Interfere w/ Old Original Magnum 500s... Redneck Engineering Required

Big Bad Dad

Local time
2:51 PM
Reaction score
I converted my 64 Fury to front disc brakes using the kit from Doctor Diff that allows retaining 14" wheels. I have old Magnum 500s with the 3 prong center cap, and like the look on my car. Had a problem when installing the front wheels. The hub of the new rotor is not tapered down, and has a "squared off" end at the cap. See how the original hub is tapered compared to the new disc hub:

DSC01658.JPG
DSC01659.JPG

When I initially put the wheels on, they did not want to seat flush, but seemed to be held off of the hub slightly. I tightened them down, and torqued the nuts to spec. Spun the wheels, and they ran true. So I went ahead and drove the car a bit while I was getting the adjustable prop valve dialed in. Car drove fine, but I could tell it would have to be re-aligned after swapping the front spindles, as the steering wheels was no longer centered. I wanted to take off the spinner caps before going to the alignment shop. The front wheels had to be rocked and pulled to get them off. I could see where the hubs had gouged the inside of the wheels because of the interference fit.
DSC01660.JPG

The answer may have been to use a lathe and cut a bevel into the end of the hub. But, I don't have a lathe, and don't want to take everything back apart. Time to "Git 'er done" with a carbide burr in a die grinder...
DSC01663.JPG

Redneck engineering at it's finest. It may be a bit crude, but the wheels now go on just fine, and the hub will never be seen when the wheels are on.
DSC01664.JPG
DSC01665.JPG

Anyway, I mainly posted this so others that want to use this Doctor Diff kit with Magnum 500 wheels could be aware of the issue. And I would assume that the Chrysler road wheels would be the same.

Way to attack a problem head on! I'd do the same.

Thanks for the information. My Dr Diff kit had no issues with my magnum 14 inch wheels.

roadrunner139.jpg

Some of the newer trim ring type of magnums, fit with no problem. They were optional on cars with those rotors.

Looks to be similar to the issue with the Wilwood conversion kits and the Magnum 500's, right?
Can't use the bolt-on center caps with the Wilwood kits because the dust cap on the bearings
actually takes up all the space in the wheel.

Looks to be similar to the issue with the Wilwood conversion kits and the Magnum 500's, right?
Can't use the bolt-on center caps with the Wilwood kits because the dust cap on the bearings
actually takes up all the space in the wheel.
No, the dust caps were not a problem. I just have the center caps off for now until after I get the front end alignment. I don't know if they may have to attach their equipment to the wheels, and figure the spinner caps would be in the way.

No, the dust caps were not a problem. I just have the center caps off for now until after I get the front end alignment. I don't know if they may have to attach their equipment to the wheels, and figure the spinner caps would be in the way.
How do those attach to the wheel? Pic doesn't look like there's enough room for the typical backing plate and
capscrews for the "normal" 500 center caps.

image2.JPG
(Wilwood cone sticking through Mangum rim)

Last edited:
How do those attach to the wheel? Pic doesn't look like there's enough room for the typical backing plate and
capscrews for the "normal" 500 center caps.

View attachment 1345614
(Wilwood cone sticking through Mangum rim)

Agree, I have the Wilwood conversion kit that claims to allow the 14" wheels to fit, dunno about real Magnums, but my "road wheels" require a spacer to allow for the centre caps to fit.

My kit from Doctor Diff is different than the Wilwood you guys are asking about. Look at the last pic in my original posting of this thread. That is my front wheel with the center spinner cap left off. There is plenty of room for the Magnum center cap. I just left them off until I get the front end re-aligned.

Last edited:
These are the wheels that are on the car. The fronts worked fine after my modification to the disc hub.
DSC01700.JPG

Auto Transport Service
Back