• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Disc/Drum Combination Distribution Valve - where to buy that DOESN'T LEAK??

68 Sport Satellite

FBBO Gold Member
FBBO Gold Member
Local time
12:04 PM
Reaction score
I found a leak at the bottom of my brass Disc/Drum Combination Distribution block and took the car in to one of my favorite local brake shops that has done some line work for me in the past. They made up a new line and then discovered that the brass Disc/Drum Combination Distribution Block was leaking from a few other ports as well and it seemed that the previous shop overtightened the fittings.

My distribution blocks looks like this, but with brass finish:
1682361974547.png

Here's a cross-section view:
1682362177527.png

I've been looking online for a new replacement, but all of the reviews I'm reading for these from MP Brakes, Inlinetube, summit, etc all seem to have trouble with these leaking. Can anyone point me to a good source where they've installed one and it's not leaking? My car is rear drum, so I'd like to have the one with the shuttle valve like I show in these photos.

Bought my last one from Mega Parts and it does not leak.
Do you also have Front Disc/Rear drum like mine?

I'm open to other good quality non-leaking distribution blocks for Front Disc/Rear Drum if others have suggestions. The distribution block I have that is leaking is not original to the car, but it also does not look like the one suggested by pnora. Maybe the internals are the same? Not sure.

All I know is each option I've looked at from Mancini, Summit, Master Power Brakes, Jegs, there are at least several reviews for each that say they leaked. Can it be wide-spread user error during install? Or is it cheap poor made junk?

Looks like my existing after-market setup is an all-in one combination valve like this Summit Racing tech explanation shows:
What is a brake combination valve?
1682377925683.png

Or I can order the 2-piece setup like this? They describe the lower piece as the metering valve portion (different than proportioning valve).
1682378014471.png

How did you make out with this valve?
Good timing for this question! My mechanic called to inform me the car was ready so I picked it up yesterday. No LEAKS! I'm so very happy. Finally, the brakes feel like they should with really good pedal feel and much improved stopping power. Summit Racing comes through once again!

Is your braking operation any different from before you installed this valve?

Is your braking operation any different from before you installed this valve?
what do you mean by "operation"? Prior to this I had the same type valve and it felt like I had air in the lines (which I did). The pedal felt spongy, but the car stopped. Now the pedal sponginess is gone, pedal feels firm at a higher level and stopping is improved.

Are you able to get the car to skid?

I know that your disc/drum
Arrangement is different but I’ve been on a mission to learn more.
A non ABS system that CANNOT skid seems like it isn’t fully functional.

Hey Dwayne, found your thread during a search. While we were installing the TKX, Greg noticed some brake fluid weeping from the front right-hand side flex line. While under the car this weekend I found the distribution block was leaking from the bottom, much like you posted. It's a fairly new unit, replaced in 2014 when I converted to front disc brakes.
I found the original receipt: I bought the entire disc brake kit and dist block from Cass at Dr. Diff; the parts were from The Right Stuff. Looks like the same one you posted on #8.
You can see tiny spots of fluid where the bolt head meets the block.
20240115_134452.jpg20240115_134605.jpg

I suspect the fittings on the lines. The ones from my master cylinder are originals from a 73-76 front disc A body car so they are maybe 50 years old. The threads do get worn after multiple on/off sessions.
If your fittings are "seasoned", your problem may lie there.

Hey Dwayne, found your thread during a search. While we were installing the TKX, Greg noticed some brake fluid weeping from the front right-hand side flex line. While under the car this weekend I found the distribution block was leaking from the bottom, much like you posted. It's a fairly new unit, replaced in 2014 when I converted to front disc brakes.
I found the original receipt: I bought the entire disc brake kit and dist block from Cass at Dr. Diff; the parts were from The Right Stuff. Looks like the same one you posted on #8.
You can see tiny spots of fluid where the bolt head meets the block.
View attachment 1592578View attachment 1592579
It looks like the line has fluid on the tube nut threads. I would double check that first before blaming the valve. A minute leak may take a long time to make a drop. I would clean it and blow it off well and look every day to be sure. . Remember a leak does not drip from the top.

Auto Transport Service
Back