• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Distributor clearance issue

Here are some pics of my solution. Not sure if I qualify for a how to, but this seems to work for my application.
IMG_0219.JPG

I can now freely rotate even with plug wires on
IMG_0220.JPG

Clearanced the flange and ground the weld on top also massaged the area to somewhat of a radius instead of a straight 45.
IMG_0221.JPG

Opened up the bolt holes a little and spot faced for the washers to sit flat.
IMG_0222.JPG

There was interference between the inside of the flange and the rocker pedestal. I clearance this which along with the enlarged bolt holes allowed me to slide the cover slightly away from the distributor. I was able to maintain good rocker clearance
IMG_0223.JPG

This is where the cover was touching
Thanks again all!

Went down a very similar road using Indy heads, MSD and fabbed covers. And that was a lot of years ago and would think by now, things would be better fitting but I guess not. It was pretty amazing at how many parts needed to be machined just so they would fit. It's like 'oh it's for a Mopar so screw them' or something like that. I wonder if Ford is even worse!?

Did you think of having the dist drive gear clocked 1 tooth ccw to get that terminal away from cover? Assuming dist is where car runs, properly timed.

The distributor is not where it will run. I can certainly clock the gear when I dial in where the distributor will be. For now I can at least move it freely. That is a good idea

Auto Transport Service
Back