• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

distributor question

mac

Local time
9:40 AM
Reaction score
will the top part of the shaft (where the points cam and reluctor are) interchange from a points style to an electronic style distributor?

Speaking big blocks, I am not sure, but I think so. I also believe it's just one, complete shaft top-to-bottom. It's been a while since I gutted a distributor, but I seem to recall a roll pin just under the base & "maybe" another one near the points cam / reluctor area??? I'm 99% sure they're the same length overall, since the caps are interchangeable, they fit into the same cam/oil pump gear & the housing sure look the same size. Bottom line, if the roll pin locations are in the same spot, I believe yes. I also think there's a reasonable chance this applies to small blocks as well for the same reasons.

Anybody else know for absolute sure?

Also, why do you ask? I think it's much more likely that the housing bushings are worn vs. the shaft being bent if you're seeing a "wobble".

Also, why do you ask? I think it's much more likely that the housing bushings are worn vs. the shaft being bent if you're seeing a "wobble".

have a reman points style that i tried a pertronix in. also have the mopar performance electronic conversion that has the small counter weights. was hoping to marry the 2 and get a more stable dist to work with. but one of them is in car right now and would rather feel more confident in the marriage of the 2 before i remove it from a running car.

will the top part of the shaft (where the points cam and reluctor are) interchange from a points style to an electronic style distributor?
The shaft yes you have to change out the cam plate to a reluctor plate with the same advance then modify the housing if you are using a oem pickup. That help?

Auto Transport Service
Back