• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Distributor question

• Thread starter Deleted member 214
  • Start date
D

Deleted member 214

My factory electronic distributor is shot, needs new bushings. Cheapest cure is to buy new bushings, tear it down, try and replace the bushings, hope I don't screw it up worse than it already is. Next cheapest and much easier is rebuilt unit from parts store, under 50 bucks. Best cure is Malloy, MSD, Accel performance unit. for $200-$250. I see ProForm distributors on eBay for $80. Anybody have any experience with these - are they offshore junk or a good deal for the money? The car has a mild 440 six pack and I'm going to go with a 6AL or similar multi-spark performance box sometime down the road. Thanks!

That motor doesn't "need" anything more than a "set up" electronic distributor (and by that I mean indexed and curved). Nothing fancy or expensive.

i currently use the MSD dist with a 6al Box and it works great. I have also used the Mechanical Proform with an MSD box and it was good also. MSD also makes a dist that does not require a box to run, its expensive and i have no experience with it. Good luck.

You can also use a standard Mopar electronic distributor with an MSD 6A or 6AL. That's what's in the Duster.

Yep, rebuilt OEM unit with a proper curve and an MSD.

Looks a Brice Road parking lot project! Thanks!

OK, here's the results. Swapped in used alternator off my brother's car and installed a new cap and rotor while at the 'nats. Started right up, ran better, drove to the hotel. Took shower, had a beer, went to start it - no spark at the plugs. Swapped in old distributor, started up, runs better than ever, made it back to Cleveland today. I don't get it.

I had the same problem as far as the car would start and run great and then it would not start. Check the 4 or 5 pin plug that goes on the ignition module. I had a connector inside the plug that was bad. I would swap parts around and do stupid crap and found a connector in the plug was broke off the wire inside the plug. I got one from jegs and no more problems, Runs like a top and starts every time.

I noticed the wires to the ballast resistor are missing insulation and fraying. Not surprising for 40 year old wires, eh? I got a complete engine wiring harness for it that includes the electronic ignition box plug at the Nats, will install this weekend.

Auto Transport Service
Back