• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Distributor suggestions?

Firecore standard dist here as well. Very adjustable, and uses standard electronic ingition. Get a good control module, FBO or NOS USA made.

Hello,

I have a 72' with a 400ci 4bbl with a smallish Voodoo 10230703 Lift: .494"/.513" cam.

My distributor is next on the list, I think.

I have read MSD is the way to go. I'd also like to get rid of as much of the boxes on the firewall as possible (Ignition box, ballast resistor)

I believe 72 should no longer have points. The cap on the Distibutor I have now is pretty sloppy, that can't be good.

I also have RPM Aluminum heads, so I'd need it to fit.

Any suggestions or direction on this?

Thanks!
I'm running the Pertronix 3 in my 68 440 RT and it runs perfect never had an issue with it and it eliminates the box and ballast resister.

I bought a rebuilt points style distributor from the parts store i deal with.
Turned in the old loose one for the core.
Pulled the points ect. out of the new one and ordered a pertronix set up.
Also used their recommended coil at 1.5 ohms. That set up has been fine.
All in all though I could have just stuck the rebuilt points dizzy in and set the dwell
No more than most of us drive these cars a set of points will last a few years.
I only put on 2,500 to 3 000 miles per year.

Hello,

I have a 72' with a 400ci 4bbl with a smallish Voodoo 10230703 Lift: .494"/.513" cam.

My distributor is next on the list, I think.

I have read MSD is the way to go. I'd also like to get rid of as much of the boxes on the firewall as possible (Ignition box, ballast resistor)

I believe 72 should no longer have points. The cap on the Distibutor I have now is pretty sloppy, that can't be good.

I also have RPM Aluminum heads, so I'd need it to fit.

Any suggestions or direction on this?

Thanks!
I am real happy with Pertronix Flame Thrower's in my 383's.

I used a MSD 3 wire run ready in my car for 10 years no problem and you get rid of the fire wall stuff.

I used a MSD 3 wire run ready in my car for 10 years no problem and you get rid of the fire wall stuff.
That's why I went with the Pertronix you eliminate the box and Ballast resister. I looked at MSD but didn't like the big red box that you have to mount somewhere. Just depends on what you like both are good distributors

I went with the Pertronix 3 because I like the built in Rev-limiter and this distributor has work great
How long have you had it? I wanted one of those since the model 2 versions I had in several cars 20 years ago worked great. I was talked out if it because the rebuilder said he’d seen many failures with the fancier models. My car is all stock so the model 1 has been fine, but I do wonder if I left any high rpm power on the table. My Edison on going with petronix at all was due to the stock underhood look. I even have a bypassed ballast so youd be pressed to even notice at a glance things have been swapped.

That's why I went with the Pertronix you eliminate the box and Ballast resister. I looked at MSD but didn't like the big red box that you have to mount somewhere. Just depends on what you like both are good distributors
It works without the box that is the way I am using it .

my engine

20210703_105052.jpg

How long have you had it? I wanted one of those since the model 2 versions I had in several cars 20 years ago worked great. I was talked out if it because the rebuilder said he’d seen many failures with the fancier models. My car is all stock so the model 1 has been fine, but I do wonder if I left any high rpm power on the table. My Edison on going with petronix at all was due to the stock underhood look. I even have a bypassed ballast so youd be pressed to even notice at a glance things have been swapped.
I have had it for 3 years and only had 1 issue and happy to say Pertronix stands behind their products, I like the under the hood look also so I left the Ballast resister and box on the fire wall but they are not functional.

Get the pertronix conversion and convert your distributor over. Takes about 20 mins and is reliable w no more points etc.

Auto Transport Service
Back