• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Distributor wire #1 position

Local time
1:41 AM
Reaction score
I am putting new cut to length plug wires on my 440 and I was wondering what the ideal location of wire #1 would be? I know it can be anywhere, but I just want to know the spot that it looks/works best. My dads 383 is exactly opposite of mine so I am not sure. Thanks
F5F33FA9-FFAD-45B1-B300-CAE412C4F303.jpeg

I am putting new cut to length plug wires on my 440 and I was wondering what the ideal location of wire #1 would be? I know it can be anywhere, but I just want to know the spot that it looks/works best. My dads 383 is exactly opposite of mine so I am not sure. ThanksView attachment 1346249
The vast majority is set like your Dad's

I am putting new cut to length plug wires on my 440 and I was wondering what the ideal location of wire #1 would be? I know it can be anywhere, but I just want to know the spot that it looks/works best. My dads 383 is exactly opposite of mine so I am not sure. ThanksView attachment 1346249
It all depends where the distributor and the drive gear were installed at. If you didn't pay attention to where #1 was before, you need to static time the engine to find #1 and go from there. Where it's supposed to be and where #1 is could be 2 different things.

It all depends where the distributor and the drive gear were installed at. If you didn't pay attention to where #1 was before, you need to static time the engine to find #1 and go from there. Where it's supposed to be and where #1 is could be 2 different things.
Right now it is where it is “supposed” to be. I daily drive it but I ripped the wires out and I want to change the distributor to be in a good position if it needs it before I cut the new wires to fit

I prefer do do it just like it was when new. Get the drive gear correctly indexed and drop the dizzy in. No guessing later. Plus some caps are marked as #1. To me it just is right and makes a quick diagnosis easier if a problem pops up.

I think this is what you're looking for.
Most pleasing to the eye.
20220921_092747.jpg

If you have your distributor gear indexed the way it was originally, like pnora said, the vacuum advance canister should end up pointing in the direction of #1 cylinder. The #1 terminal will then be about the 5 o'clock position on the cap looking straight down while standing on the passenger side. This will give plenty of room for timing adjustment without the vac adv interfering with anything.

Last edited:
Auto Transport Service
Back