• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Distributor wiring help!

moparsrul

FBBO Gold Member
FBBO Gold Member
Local time
5:05 PM
Reaction score
Wanting to install a Mopar performance electronic distributor in a 360 but it has a single wire alternator. Do I need to wire or do anything different than what's on the directions. It has a Mallory Unilite in it now. Thanks for the post!

Wanting to install a Mopar performance electronic distributor in a 360 but it has a single wire alternator. Do I need to wire or do anything different than what's on the directions. It has a Mallory Unilite in it now. Thanks for the post!
Alternator has nothing to do with the electronic ignition wiring.

It's still not a bad question.
It's "recomended" to have a solid state voltage regulator with electronic ignition.
Supposed to be easier on the ECU (Ignition module).
Still many have kept the old single wire alternator with points style regulator and had no issues for years.

Isn't a unilite a stand alone ready to run distributor?

Yes the unilite was. When I look at a wiring diagram it looks like the blue wire from the balast resistor goes back to the voltage regulator on a stock mopar alternator. The intall directions say the blue wire is the keyed hot 12v. I tested it and it is but as soon as you start cranking the voltage drops to pretty much nothing?

Yes the unilite was. When I look at a wiring diagram it looks like the blue wire from the balast resistor goes back to the voltage regulator on a stock mopar alternator. The intall directions say the blue wire is the keyed hot 12v. I tested it and it is but as soon as you start cranking the voltage drops to pretty much nothing?
You need to test the voltage. Also you tap in before the resistor not after. If this is correct it sounds like you have a serious voltage drop.

Ballast resistor shot?

pnora, you had something interesting. I have installed the blue 12V hot from the inginition switch with the blue wire from the box togetherthen attached them to the ballast resistor. The other side of the bastast resistor has a wire tothe positive on the distributor attached to a 12V only in cranking position? I believe this is all wired correctly? I have checked voltage on both. I will also figure out how to test the ballast resister. also going to check the gap at the reluctor wheel just waiting on the brass feeler gage. Thanks everyone for the help!

Here you go. At the ballast where the S terminal is connected has a brown and a blue wire. The R terminal has a single blue wire. To wire a Mopar box the blue/yellow wire from the box goes to the R terminal. The ballast resistor should measure .5 ohm when disconected.
Doug
1678420258376.png

Auto Transport Service
Back