• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Ditching Dual Quad Eddies for Quick Fuel Race Q-950

I dynoed my old 498 with a Factory cross ram and the Indy. Unported -1 with .670 cam, 2 eddys. The stock manifold made 652, the Indy made 712 back to back with no other changes.
Doug

I dynoed my old 498 with a Factory cross ram and the Indy. Unported -1 with .670 cam, 2 eddys. The stock manifold made 652, the Indy made 712 back to back with no other changes.
Doug

Mine was almost exactly the same. I'm still running it in my white 63 plymouth. I still have the dyno sheet. Maybe i'll post it up. its the dyno with the OE Crossram

Last edited:
Doug

damn...... That's quite a difference. Same carbs on both intakes?

Doug

Wow thats 60 hp on a 700 plus hp eng. I knew it was a good bit and that proves it. Thanks Doug. Ron

damn...... That's quite a difference. Same carbs on both intakes?

Both intakes had 750 Eddys. In fact the Indy had the same carbs I run now.
Doug

My setup were with Carter 750 competition series carbs 9755S unmodified on both OE Crossram and Indy 440-25 intake, my carbs are offset not inline on this engine.

Well, i done and did it...... Dual quads are gone and an INDY 360-3 intake with the QFT Q-950R carb are installed..... Now hood clearance is going to be REALLY tight. Anyone know of some good low profile air cleaner suppliers out there? I found Spectre but there must be some others.

Thanks.

[video]https://youtu.be/qAHOWmSNzzk[/video]

View attachment 311954

View attachment 311955

Had a Q-950 on my Big Block Ford. They're a marvelous carb with adjustments 6 ways of Sunday but that seems to be their downfall - too many adjustment points. All engines are different in some respect as to how their built and I have never come across any brand that runs perfectly correct right out of the box. Setting a Quick Fuel can be a daunting task that really requires an exhaust gas analyzer as they are very precision in adjustment. In the end I ended up selling it for a big loss and went TBI. They were both about the same price and I wished I had gone TBI in the first place and saved the loss. The FiTech TBI performs just so much better than any carb I've previously purchased.

Had a Q-950 on my Big Block Ford. They're a marvelous carb with adjustments 6 ways of Sunday but that seems to be their downfall - too many adjustment points. All engines are different in some respect as to how their built and I have never come across any brand that runs perfectly correct right out of the box. Setting a Quick Fuel can be a daunting task that really requires an exhaust gas analyzer as they are very precision in adjustment. In the end I ended up selling it for a big loss and went TBI. They were both about the same price and I wished I had gone TBI in the first place and saved the loss. The FiTech TBI performs just so much better than any carb I've previously purchased.

Yeah, i have an Innovate MTX-L wideband O2 sensor/gauge and so far it's pretty close. I've yet to drive it because i'm waiting on a QA1 carbon fiber drive shaft. I was gonna go with FAST EZ 2.0 FI but i have a pretty radical cam and i've heard guys having nightmares trying to get a good idle with them due to having a low vacuum signal.

You can buy an off the shelf WIX or Orielly brand air filter in about any diameter and only 2" tall to help hood clearance....like a 14" air cleaner base for the 4150 carb and a K&N 14" air cleaner lid with the 2" filter will help you in a tight clearance problem...problem is...I dont know if the 2" air cleaner flows air worth a darn. You almost have to buy the "shortest" 14" HI FLOWING K&N you can get...dont know if they make one only 2" tall,,,even theirs, if only 2" tall may not flow that much CFM...gotta be at least 950CFM flow air filter or else your carb is not going to be to full potential.....

You can buy an off the shelf WIX or Orielly brand air filter in about any diameter and only 2" tall to help hood clearance....like a 14" air cleaner base for the 4150 carb and a K&N 14" air cleaner lid with the 2" filter will help you in a tight clearance problem...problem is...I dont know if the 2" air cleaner flows air worth a darn. You almost have to buy the "shortest" 14" HI FLOWING K&N you can get...dont know if they make one only 2" tall,,,even theirs, if only 2" tall may not flow that much CFM...gotta be at least 950CFM flow air filter or else your carb is not going to be to full potential.....

Yeah, i don't think a 2" will flow enough. I might be pushing it with a 3" Especially with my 7000+ RPM shifts and going through the traps at 7400

Beeper...at the drags you don't have a clearance problem just take the air cleaner off....many, many, many racers run NO air cleaner at the drags...then on the street a really hi flowing air cleaner isn't important cause u are going for low et's from home to the grocery store....

Auto Transport Service
Back